Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Rettroband - are they worth it?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Good find, good story. That's what I like seeing. Interesting scenario though. Is that a cut at the outer edge of the tire above the gaping hole?

Here is the installation video that will start at the relevant point:

I hope it goes better for you guys than it did for me. My rig went to NIRVC for a list of things, one of which was new tires and to make sure I'm running the newest version of Rettrobands.

Six weeks later, Newmar picked up the coach and took it to Nappanee for some warranty related repair. At that time, not one item had been taken care of, including the new tires and Rettrobands.

In the video above, I'm curious as to what a "front drive tire blowout" @ 2:57 might be? AWD (I'm betting against that)? Fast lips, slow thoughts?

One thing that concerns me in watching the removal of the RettroBands from the New Aire (video above) is the amount of torsion placed on the tire (stretching it) to get it out. Imagine that done on install causing tears, fractures, etc.? Certainly got my attention. And in the New Aire video there appears to be a gash above the hole so I'm not sure if there was trauma that started that or what. I tried watching it back in portions to try and catch WHEN they got RettroBands installed on their coach, i.e. was it recent to the incident.

Also FYI they will put a placard below your key pad entry that advertises RettroBands installed on the coach. You may want to consider as I would to not put any marketing placards on the coach. I don't do dealer placards and I certainly would direct them not to put that on my coach if I choose to get these.

Yeah, the placard marketing isn't a "free" thing on any of my vehicles either. I trust folks like that just enough to remind them that such a sticker would be professionally removed and the coach detailed at the expense of whomever installed the sticker after they were directed not too. Based on how much I trust most folks with an agenda to adhere to my instructions, I would follow up the verbal instructons with an email to that person stating the same and copied to their boss & their bosses boss to remove all ambiguity and generate a paper trail.

This happened on my Chevy Colorado, delivered with no sticker, it went for paint protection and came out with dealer tag, sent back for removal and redo of paint protection in the affected area. I don't do free marketing, sorry, and the RettroBand placard is not small. Be aware.

When my Rettrobands were installed, I was asked if they could put that label on the coach. I declined. However, there are small stickers on each steer tire to indicate the bands are installed. That makes sense to me.
One thing that concerns me in watching the removal of the RettroBands from the New Aire (video above) is the amount of torsion placed on the tire (stretching it) to get it out. Imagine that done on install causing tears, fractures, etc.?
That is why they won’t put the bands on tires that are older than three years. Their cost to replace damaged older tires began to erode their margin.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back