Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins ISX 650
TOW/TOAD
Ford Cmax
Fulltimer
Yes
Yup, not a good day 1 of most recent trip. Currently sitting in Albuquerque NM with RV at a Freightliner shop for the foreseeable future. Driver side steer wheel shredded and took out the electrical bay. No power steering, no dash, no slide controls, no levelers, cant start engine. Wound up partially in the median of I40 with patio side outside dually off the ground. Luckily we didn't roll it, and I had just swapped out the blue ox tow bar that bound up if not perfectly flat for the NSA ready brute that had enough rotational give in the attachment points to release the toad Even at the angle we came to rest at. Recovery tow dude was a miracle worker and managed to get hooked up and drove it into the bottom of the median without rolling rv and himself and was able to get it out. Once Freightliner finishes its repairs it will need to go to a body shop for their work, so we are grounded for a while. Luckily no injuries and didn't cause any accidents as it went from the right lane all the way to the median. TPMS was active, no warnings, and all tire readings were in specs and consistent across the board with the usual running temps and PSI. 19k miles on this one, the front right tire looks perfectly normal and healthy. Scratching my head on why this one would have blown, rear blowouts a year ago were related to Freightliner valve stem recall and I can understand why they went.

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpeg
    IMG_0920.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0919.jpeg
    IMG_0919.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0927.jpeg
    IMG_0927.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
Oh my! I'm glad you are okay! The nightmare none of us want to experience. I'm sure others will want to know details of the tire, brand, DOT date, I know you mentioned 19K miles on it.

Hope all goes well in the path ahead.

Tires were/are the factory (corrected) Michelin X Multi, 2020 build so I'm guessing 2019 at the oldest on the date code, but I am going to ask the insurance adjuster to get a pic of the remaining front tire for its code. No issues with the driver side rears, they are still factory with 19k miles, the patio side were the ones that went down with the valve stem recall and are currently at about 12k miles, an off brand, Hercules I think, and a Toyo currently. Couldn't find any tires during covid supply chain when that incident happened, so went with anything the tire guys had in stock.

Wow. Sorry to hear of this experience. Kudos on good driving and keeping it upright. Glad to hear you are ok.

That’s just wrong! So glad all are ok. This should not happen unless it was caused by a road hazard. Let us know what you find out please.

Yup, not a good day 1 of most recent trip. Currently sitting in Albuquerque NM with RV at a Freightliner shop for the foreseeable future. Driver side steer wheel shredded and took out the electrical bay. No power steering, no dash, no slide controls, no levelers, cant start engine. Wound up partially in the median of I40 with patio side outside dually off the ground. Luckily we didn't roll it, and I had just swapped out the blue ox tow bar that bound up if not perfectly flat for the NSA ready brute that had enough rotational give in the attachment points to release the toad Even at the angle we came to rest at. Recovery tow dude was a miracle worker and managed to get hooked up and drove it into the bottom of the median without rolling rv and himself and was able to get it out. Once Freightliner finishes its repairs it will need to go to a body shop for their work, so we are grounded for a while. Luckily no injuries and didn't cause any accidents as it went from the right lane all the way to the median. TPMS was active, no warnings, and all tire readings were in specs and consistent across the board with the usual running temps and PSI. 19k miles on this one, the front right tire looks perfectly normal and healthy. Scratching my head on why this one would have blown, rear blowouts a year ago were related to Freightliner valve stem recall and I can understand why they went.
Glad to hear you are all okay ad have insurance to help you get back on the road.

Darrell

Glad everyone is ok and no accident. I hope you are back up soon.

Thats scary - glad you're ok.

So sorry for your bad experience. You have to wonder if something punctured or sliced it. Good job getting it to the side of the road.

You have made me decide to take a look at my drivers side wheel well and see if I can weld in come thicker steel plate in the front to protect that critical bay. Do you think that would have helped your situation?

Latest resources

Back