• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Rivian R1T - First Flat Towable EV

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I own a Model X and sure wish it was flat towable behind my motorhome. I really LOVE my X.

My question will be how much your fuel mileage will drop while it’s charging the batteries if it’s worth charging like that or using a charging station is more cost effective I do get the convenience of not having to charge at a station, but it’s possible it might drop your mileage a lot.

My question will be how much your fuel mileage will drop while it’s charging the batteries if it’s worth charging like that or using a charging station is more cost effective I do get the convenience of not having to charge at a station, but it’s possible it might drop your mileage a lot.

I think it’s more of a convenience thing. But I have to say. We towed an EV on a trailer for 5 years and it was really no big deal to just charge at public charging spots. Even once or twice at the campground. Tow charging would be a nice to have but certainly not a need to have for us.

If, like me, you are an electric vehicle enthusiast (I own a Tesla Model 3), and an RV Enthusiast, you have inevitably asked yourself and others two very pressing questions; 1) can I tow an EV behind my RV, and 2) could I charge an EV off my RV.

Well, there is some interesting news on this topic that recently came out, Rivian, a new company currently in production of their new electric Pickup the R1T, and their electric SUV the R1S, announced that both vehicles would be capable of being flat-towed behind an RV. This is the first electric vehicle with the ability to flat tow. The problem has been that there was no way to disengage the electric motors from the wheels in EVs, making flat towing a quick way to overheat and damage the motors (the cooling systems for the motors only work when the vehicle is active). There have been many discussions encouraging companies like Tesla to figure out how to modify the software or hardware in their vehicles to allow a scenario where the vehicle would have the motors engaged, and use the towing energy to recharge the batteries (this is a long complicated conversation that has already been covered in other threads, so I won't delve into that here).

For Rivian, their design included the ability to disengage each of the four motors as part of their power saving system, essentially allowing the vehicle to disengage one or more motors, as appropriate, to reduce power consumption. Rivian has confirmed in several responses to tweets that the vehicles will have a mode that disengages all four motors to allow safe flat-towing of the vehicle.

There has now been new discussions in the forums indicating that Rivian has also said that the R1T and R1S will be able to charge their batteries while being towed! No details yet on how that will work, how much load that would put on the towing vehicle, etc.

View attachment 4272
The Rivian R1T has some impressive stats:

True All Wheel Drive, with 4 motors.
0-60 MPH acceleration of 3 seconds.
Cargo capacity of 1,800 lbs., with secure storage in the "frunk" and a "gear tunnel" between the cab and bed.
Towing capacity of 11,000 lbs., recently confirmed in a Death Valley torture test.
Air adjustable suspension for full off-road capabilities, including water crossing up to 3 feet deep.
4G full-time internet with WIFI capability (supports over the air updates), built-in wireless inductive charging, 6 USB ports, 3 12V outlets, 4 110V outlets and an immersive audio system.
Driver+ self-driving capability
Length: 218" (18' 2")
Height: 72" (6')
Width: 79" (6' 7") (with mirrors folded)
Weight: 5,886 lbs

And now - recharging while towing!

Oh, important - pricing starts at $67,500 (mine will be $95K with the options I selected)

The picture above is the Rivian I have ordered. Unfortunately, it won't be shipping until June of next year (mine won't ship until January of 2022 due to additional options I selected).
@TJ&LadyDi Indeed! Even quicker then my Tesla and that thing will take your breath away.
Hello cpeterso87, We we’re looking at the RS1 to tow behind our super C. I contacted Rivian twice today and got the same answer both times, The Rivian will NOT be able to be flat towed. Have you heard differently? We were hoping to order one but can’t if it’s not towable.

Hello cpeterso87, We we’re looking at the RS1 to tow behind our super C. I contacted Rivian twice today and got the same answer both times, The Rivian will NOT be able to be flat towed. Have you heard differently? We were hoping to order one but can’t if it’s not towable.
Disappointing as initially they were supposed to be towable 4 down. May still happen. It is a software challenge, not a hardware challenge.

Latest resources

Back