• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Roof Radius Cracks Above Awning

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It looks like you have to inspect from the roof, or a tall ladder. Will do. I'd dread having to redo my solar panels!!

Yes, I inspected from a ladder. In conversation with the service scheduler, he made me believe that only the color strip is laminated. I’ve envisioned just a strip from behind the awning strip and up to the white part of the roof. Maybe solar panels not impacted?

As I maintain the dirtiest Newmar on the highways I inspected and best I could tell through the "protective" layer it seems fine, thankfully. I guess someone didn't do something they were supposed to such as predrill and just enjoyed their favorite screw (self tapping)?

Anyone who has had the aluminum overlay repair done want to comment on how satisfied you are with the fix? We have the cracks and are scheduled to visit Newmar in June for the repair. At this point we are going with the aluminum overlay instead of paying $6k for the fiberglass (Filing, gel coat, whatever) repair. Would like to hear others experience.
TIA

My coach had the cracks being discussed. Newmar completed the aluminum radius overlay on both passenger & driver side last fall. 5 days sounds about right. I left the coach and had a couple other things taken care of so my time line was a bit longer. The radius overlay looks fine, really can't tell it's there from the ground. Newmar paint shop did a great job matching the color and they also reshot the clear coat on the upper portion of the front & rear caps. On the roof side of the radius they put a "cap" over the edge of the aluminum sheet. The "cap" is attached with screws that go through the cap and into the roof. Each screw is sealed with clear silicone. The edge of the cap that is up against the white portion of the roof is sealed with what appears to be a Dicor type sealant. I would have preferred to have the cap sealed to the roof with eternalbond tape as I think it would be more reliable, less maintenance, and have a longer life. Be aware that once the aluminum radius is installed as I've described the water on the roof will no longer have a path to run off over the radius edges because the aluminum sheet and the cap are approximately 1/4" above the surface of the roof. This means the water will need to run off the front and or rear of the coach. So if you have the radius "fix" installed you will need to ensure all of the other potential leak paths from items on the roof are well sealed since there could be additional "pooling" of water since it cannot run over the now higher radiused edges.

Thanks for the reply. Based on your description, I wonder if they treat each crack in some way to prevent them from continuing to expand beyond the aluminum overlay. Would hate to do this and have cracks reappear from under the cap in a year or two. Did Newmar offer any explanation for why the cracks occurred in the first place?

Thanks for the reply. Based on your description, I wonder if they treat each crack in some way to prevent them from continuing to expand beyond the aluminum overlay. Would hate to do this and have cracks reappear from under the cap in a year or two. Did Newmar offer any explanation for why the cracks occurred in the first place?
to fix a crack in cast iron we drill a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from traveling. If I were doing the job that is what I would do. I am sure they know this but it wouldn't hurt to make the comment.

Whew. No carefree awnings on my unit, which I sometimes regret.

Guess they’re not so carefree after all.
You might even say they aren’t all they’re cracked up to be!

I’ll be here all week

Newmar did not provide any info to me regarding the cause of the cracks. My best guess is they are stress fractures initiated at the screws in the various locations along lower edge of the radiused fiberglass. I suspect stress at the screw hole combined with flexure as the coach travels caused the cracks to form and propagate. I did not ask about the details of the repair, i.e. drilled holes to stop the crack propagation, if the aluminum has an adhesive to offer any "structural" enhancement. In my experience I think the customer service rep. and or the tech that is assigned to you would be happy to provide any info they have.

Latest resources

Back