Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ATP

RVF Regular
Hi. New to the forum. I’m a first-time travel trailer owner and have experienced way too many issues in the first 4 months of owning my 2023 Keystone Outback Ultra-lite. Most recently, I have experienced a loud rumbling and vibration of the trailer in the middle of the night, that wakes me up 3-4 times a night. It only seems to happen when temperatures are close to, or below, freezing. I have more testing to do, but it also seems like it is only when my tank heaters are turned on (could be coincidence). I’m almost positive that it is the furnace. Possibly the blower fan? I believe this happens randomly and not always when the furnace kicks on for heat. Would anyone happen to have advice on what I should look for to narrow down where the problem lies? I’m stationary and it’s a big hassle (and expensive) for me to get a mobile service tech to check it out, so I’d like to trouble shoot a bit before doing that. Any help would be appreciated.

loud is personal!
For me it's a jet buzzing my RV! Sometimes it's good to have hearing issues.

That said, vibration is likely the furnace. A rumble could be water heater or furnace. In cold weather both should be used so I can't say turn them off so you can isolate the problem.

Your in an RV so noises transmit in the structure. If your stabilizers need adjusted vibration will be more prominent, you may be able to do something there. I have used cloth covered sound board to quite sleeping space, when intermittent noise would wake me up.

You are not going to have the same "anything" you had in a stick and brick, but you will be able to adapt with time.

if it is anything like my furnace, the heater ignites first, then the blower comes on. it is a double kick sound and vibration.

been living in my 2020 Highland Ridge 2602UL full time for 2 months now, and you get used to it, first couple of nights it made me and the dogs jump, now we don't hear it at all.

I have also taken to using the "fireplace" electric heater before bed to heat the trailer, then the furnace doesn't kick on as often, however it isn't freezing here, lowest it has been 42°.

Not sure what type of thermostat your trailer has, I updated the generic Dometic to the Microair, and that seems to control temperature much better, the generic one sucked and did not really have any control other than on and off.

I have also taken to using the "fireplace" electric heater before bed to heat the trailer, then the furnace doesn't kick on as often, however it isn't freezing here, lowest it has been 42°.

Why "before bed". We leave ours on all night. Rent the spot and use the electricity verses your propane.

Hi. New to the forum. I’m a first-time travel trailer owner and have experienced way too many issues in the first 4 months of owning my 2023 Keystone Outback Ultra-lite. Most recently, I have experienced a loud rumbling and vibration of the trailer in the middle of the night, that wakes me up 3-4 times a night. It only seems to happen when temperatures are close to, or below, freezing. I have more testing to do, but it also seems like it is only when my tank heaters are turned on (could be coincidence). I’m almost positive that it is the furnace. Possibly the blower fan? I believe this happens randomly and not always when the furnace kicks on for heat. Would anyone happen to have advice on what I should look for to narrow down where the problem lies? I’m stationary and it’s a big hassle (and expensive) for me to get a mobile service tech to check it out, so I’d like to trouble shoot a bit before doing that. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to RVforums from Ely, Iowa. That sound could it be your water pump? They do cycle if the pressure drops. Ours will occasionally cycle for a second or two. Another thought is hot water heater igniting during the night if you are running it on LP. The furnace is also a prime candidate but the question being is it really only at night or does it happen during the day and you just don't notice it. Sorry not a lot of answers just ideas

Why "before bed". We leave ours on all night. Rent the spot and use the electricity verses your propane.
I’m living in a relatives driveway and operating off batteries and solar. Running the electric fireplace all night isn’t an option.

loud is personal!
For me it's a jet buzzing my RV! Sometimes it's good to have hearing issues.

That said, vibration is likely the furnace. A rumble could be water heater or furnace. In cold weather both should be used so I can't say turn them off so you can isolate the problem.

Your in an RV so noises transmit in the structure. If your stabilizers need adjusted vibration will be more prominent, you may be able to do something there. I have used cloth covered sound board to quite sleeping space, when intermittent noise would wake me up.

You are not going to have the same "anything" you had in a stick and brick, but you will be able to adapt with time.
Thanks for the response. This has finally occurred while I was awake and I’ve realized that the sound is most definitely coming from the water heater. It’s a similar noise to when the water heater is functioning normally but, through trial and error, I have found that the sound and vibration is only amplified when I have my black tank heater turned on. I’m not yet sure how they correlate or why they even would. I was thinking increased power consumption might have had something to do with it, but this issue doesn’t occur when I have the furnace, water heater, a space heater, and a dehumidifier running simultaneously (tank heater off), which combined certainly consume more power than just a tank heater and furnace. Baffled so far, but the possibilities are getting narrow down at least.

Welcome to RVforums from Ely, Iowa. That sound could it be your water pump? They do cycle if the pressure drops. Ours will occasionally cycle for a second or two. Another thought is hot water heater igniting during the night if you are running it on LP. The furnace is also a prime candidate but the question being is it really only at night or does it happen during the day and you just don't notice it. Sorry not a lot of answers just ideas
Thanks for the response. I’ve narrowed it down to my tankless water heater. Finally heard it during the day. When I stopped turning on my black tank heater, the rumble/vibration stopped. I’m not sure yet why the two would correlate. Could still be coincidence, as the temps haven’t quite reached the same lows as when this issue was reoccurring. The cycling thing makes sense, but I’m wondering if the water heater needs maintenance or is faulty. I can’t imagine that this sound is normal or would be considered acceptable by anyone.

Thanks for the feedback. I do have the Microair. Haven’t installed it yet. I’ve been trying to balance out electricity and propane, but what a pain it has been using a 1500w space heater. It either has to be on the same circuit as my dehumidifier or Keurig Mini. If I turn one of those on without killing the space heater first, pop goes the circuit breaker. Somehow I had 2 air conditioners, a fan, and dehumidifier running simultaneously during the summer though. This sure takes some getting used to.

Thanks for the feedback. I do have the Microair. Haven’t installed it yet. I’ve been trying to balance out electricity and propane, but what a pain it has been using a 1500w space heater. It either has to be on the same circuit as my dehumidifier or Keurig Mini. If I turn one of those on without killing the space heater first, pop goes the circuit breaker. Somehow I had 2 air conditioners, a fan, and dehumidifier running simultaneously during the summer though. This sure takes some getting used to.
oh tell me about it, I ran my Keurig and microwave at the same time last night and popped the breaker, done it before and it hasn't done that.

I don't have the option to run the electric heater for any length of time, as I am on solar and batteries only so I am using 1 propane tank about every 10 days right now, at $25 a pop. so about $100 a month just for heat.

Been in this "RV lifestyle" full time for almost 3 months and I'm tired of it. Fine for a few weeks, doing this for the next 2-3 years is going to drive me insane.

Latest resources

Back