Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Well, I've finally joined the E-Bike club. I've absolutely loved my Trek Marlin 7 and will keep her, she's going to get fixed up in Flagstaff in a week from the little incident I mentioned on this site leaving Vegas not long ago. But this past week I took the leap of BROKENESS and bought a Trek Powerfly 4 electric mountain bike. It's nearly identical to my Trek Marlin 7 but with improved components and a 500W battery. I went to South Tempe to test ride it and it was a grin ear to ear with the torque and power of the motor. Great reviews on the Bosch CX Performance motor, and it rode nice. While I enjoyed my Trek Marlin 7 I never really rode it outside of the campground due to my stellar physical shape (literally and figuratively) but I think this is going to give me that nudge to get out of the campground, go find bike paths either paved or trails as I can take it anywhere and get outdoors more. So far in the few days I've had it, Amazon has made about 214 deliveries and I got all of the goodies I want on it including a top of the line Kryptonite U-Lock.

Who else has entered this evolution of crazy expensive biking but joy of riding opportunies abound?

I’m surprised you got one. I am waitlisted with Canyon until May. Went to a Trek Store to have my son’s bike serviced and replace the front fork. The shelves were almost completely bare. A few road bikes and entry level full suspensions. I looked at a Fuel EX 9 (an entry level full suspension) - $6,500! That’s Class V bike territory. Couldn’t believe it but people are buying them and the shop was busy!! Good for them I say!

I got very lucky and they held it for me for 3 days but I went next day to look at it. Loved it and swallowed the MSRP price as you know they are not discounting these at all with the demand. This is bike Mecca which makes it even harder. I got the bike size and color I wanted. It was the only Powerfly 4 in the area.

Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Hobe Sound, FL. Great MTB trails for every skill level, pump tracks and an obstacle course too. Very nice RV park. 5 minutes to nice beaches. A mandatory stop every year for us, sometimes twice!

Sounds cool. I’ve been downloading apps for trail finding.

Interesting reading as I'm researching places to ride my e-mtb in Prescott, AZ. A lot of trails here but I came across a web site (below) which is interesting to see how e-bikes are classified and how you may not be able to ride these where mountain bike trails are published. Bottom section is interesting.

The app MTB Project seems great and indicates if e-bikes are allowed.

Wife and I made the jump this year. My LBS got me a couple of Santa Cruz Bullit's. I do have to say they are a lot of fun.

1617641202834.png

We've been working on our lot at Bella Terra for the last few days and the only thing there are more of than golf carts, is electric bicycles. So I figured, what the heck, it's time! Knowing nothing about e-bikes, I searched and found this post.

I literally shocked at the price of these things! Seriously, I figured $1,500, maybe $2,000, but then I see Neal's Powerfly 4 is selling for $4K. o_O Scroll down a few more posts and @dave burns is sporting a bike for $8K! I mean, what the hell guys! What makes these things worth that kind of money?

Come on @Jim, try one of these. It comes with a 10% off coupon for your first collar bone surgery.

Latest resources

Back