• Commercial/Vendors welcome

RVing with E-Bikes

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Jim I'm with you. I just could not pull the trigger on the high $ versions of the e-bikes. We went with the RAD City Step thru model. Bought ours a couple years ago and love them. Bought a heavy duty bike rack that will hold both bikes from e-trailer. The bike rack mounts to the receiver on the toad. To load the bikes I lift the front tire onto the rack first then lift the rear onto the rack. Never have to lift the entire weight of the bike.

I have an old fashion 10-speed mountain bike with big tires. It is easy to handle, a pleasure to ride since I replaced the seat with something wide enough for my butt and not a dang peg to sit on as originally supplied. Plus after about an hour of cranking uphill and coasting downhill, I'm ready for a beer or 2 or 3. Much less expensive than an e-bike, much less desirable to a thief, and more healthful for me. Just saying........

I've seen a dozen of these "Lectric E-Bikes" at the park and everyone I talked to really liked them. Granted, they are entry level bikes, but at my age, I'm not competing with the off-roading, mountain climbing kids. So as long as I can keep up with Trish, I'll be OK. And I'll put the $5K I saved into the Newmar fund. :)

1638824107269.png

After examining the prices and weight (don’t think my Yakima rack would hold it), I will continue to work on the stellar physical shape.😎

I've seen a dozen of these "Lectric E-Bikes" at the park and everyone I talked to really liked them. Granted, they are entry level bikes, but at my age, I'm not competing with the off-roading, mountain climbing kids. So as long as I can keep up with Trish, I'll be OK. And I'll put the $5K I saved into the Newmar fund. :)

View attachment 10068
My Sister and BIL have that brand and seem to like everything about them but the weight (65lbs). Theirs fold and they carry them in the back seat of their truck.

We've been working on our lot at Bella Terra for the last few days and the only thing there are more of than golf carts, is electric bicycles. So I figured, what the heck, it's time! Knowing nothing about e-bikes, I searched and found this post.

I literally shocked at the price of these things! Seriously, I figured $1,500, maybe $2,000, but then I see Neal's Powerfly 4 is selling for $4K. o_O Scroll down a few more posts and @dave burns is sporting a bike for $8K! I mean, what the hell guys! What makes these things worth that kind of money?
I've been a competitive bike rider most of my life and once you throw your leg of a high end bike you will be spoiled for life.

The e-bikes are compelling for sure. They look like a ton of fun! One question I have is what is the best way to carry them? Do you use a bike rack on the back of your toad? Are there special bike racks for e-bikes?
I carry them on my toad or in my trailer depending on what else goes. On the toad I have a bile cover that completely encases the bikes
1639076225990.png

Be careful using a bike cover while traveling. I have a post here somewhere but I about took out a Love's truck with my bike when my bike rack failed. The bike rack vendor states not to use a cover for this very reason. It cannot withstand the wind pressure. You are at very high risk of killing someone IMHO.

My Sister and BIL have that brand and seem to like everything about them but the weight (65lbs). Theirs fold and they carry them in the back seat of their truck.
I certainly would not put them in the back seat of MY TRUCK! No way, regardless of the cost, they don't ride on leather.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back