Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I admit I don't do this often, maybe once a year I'll put Clorox in the fresh water feed line and then fill the fresh tank. I've heard of other chemicals being used, variations in how often it's done, etc. I guess too climate (heat) matters, if I was in Florida I'd probably do it more as the heat may make things grow more than other climates. I also try to rotate my fresh tank when I can by using the water pump even when on city water to feed the water out of the bottom of the fresh tank. Where I am now in sunny warm freaking cold Arizona I'm actually filling fresh then disconnecting the water softener and stowing it, stowing the city water line and running the fresh tank near dry before the next fill.

Do you sanitize your fresh water tank?​
How often?​
What chemicals are you using and how much?​
Do you drink that water or drain it then refill?​

Prior to fulltime when my stored, I would always sanitize using bleach when I de-winterize. I would fill tank approximately 1/2 full drive around and then drain. Once refilled we would use the water for drinking as it was filtered.

My feeling now is the fresh water is cycled regularly and not necessary. I could be persuaded to do something different?

I sanitize our fresh water tank each spring with this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TIV1KA/?tag=rvf01-20

Not a fan of the chlorine bleach method for a couple of reasons; residual taste and potential health issues. YMMV

The procedure I use is what Thetford recommends on the package:

"Step 1: Clean with the detergent
  1. Empty the tank and add 1 ounce of concentrated detergent solution to the fresh water tank for every 4 gallons of tank capacity.
  2. Fill the tank with water and run the diluted detergent through each faucet, shower, and water outlet for 1 minute or more.
  3. Empty the tank and rinse the faucet lines and tank by running fresh water through them.
Step 2: Sanitize the water
  1. Shut off incoming water line and prepare a solution of 2 ounces of product per 8 gallons of water.
  2. Apply or circulate solution to wet all surfaces, allowing it a minimum contact of 60 seconds.
  3. Drain the solution and return to service by reopening incoming water lines."
The only thing I add to the above is that after finishing with Step 2, I repeat Step 1 with just fresh water. Probably not necessary, but I like to be sure there is no residual stuff in the system.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi could you elaborate how you get detergent and thetford solution into your water tank?

@TJ&LadyDi could you elaborate how you get detergent and thetford solution into your water tank?
Yes. I remove the water filter from the canister in the wet bay and put the detergent (and, later, the sanitizer) in the empty canister. That way, incoming water carries the solutions into the freshwater tank. Once the tank is filled, I turn off the water supply and use the on-board water pump to circulate the solutions throughout the coach.

TJ

We sanitize about once year as well. I try to cycle through our fresh water tank regularly by primarily using the water pump to draw from the tank.

We use Purogene (PUROGENE-One quart) to do the sanitizing. You can do a "deep" sanitizing or just for preventative purposes.

While we don't drink from the tank, I do drain and re-fill following sanitizing.

Twice a year, remove the filter element, and put the required amount of bleach in the filter canister.
Fill the tank. Run all faucets until smell bleach. Leave it alone for 4 hrs.
Drain and refill the tank, flush the lines.
Drain and refill again. Install new filters. DONE.

My fresh tank had "that smell" we often hear about. I've had it before and I've used chlorine before but I think at 5 years into ownership it's probably time to do a real sanitizing with the Purogene recommended above in post 6. A few days ago I did just that with the activator crystals as well and I'm happy to report it worked. No smell, tastes fine, and I'm relieved knowing I'm not drinking anything funky. Now that I've gone through this and trust the product, neither my dog nor I have keeled over yet, I'll be doing this annually.

Latest resources

Back