RV Make
Alpinelite
RV Length
26'
TOW/TOAD
2016 Ram 1500
Fulltimer
Yes
I go to poweroutages.us in the morning. I like to see how the world is dealing with the green power grid. So I hear that wind turbines have iced up, solar panels are not clearing to produce power, and many are suffering with rolling power outages in many states this morning. The green power in California is forcing the power companies to produce leveling plans for the grid. One of the ways they are doing this is to reduce hours you can charge your EV. Not that many professionals in the industry didn't warn us about this years ago. I guess that Germany an early adapter of green grid and EV have reduced EV charging in an attempt to level the grid system... Who would have thunk? Now the professionals that warned us don't look so bad.

All the priority on "Green" energy comes back to bite TX. Wind Turbines are generating at 10% of capacity. Solar at Zero. Gas and Coal generation way down over the last decade.

Ohh you have a EV, Too bad...hope you have an ICE Generator...

If you are interested in some facts regarding TX outage

I go to poweroutages.us in the morning. I like to see how the world is dealing with the green power grid. So I hear that wind turbines have iced up, solar panels are not clearing to produce power, and many are suffering with rolling power outages in many states this morning. The green power in California is forcing the power companies to produce leveling plans for the grid. One of the ways they are doing this is to reduce hours you can charge your EV. Not that many professionals in the industry didn't warn us about this years ago. I guess that Germany an early adapter of green grid and EV have reduced EV charging in an attempt to level the grid system... Who would have thunk? Now the professionals that warned us don't look so bad.
Now I know that the intentions were good - "Please don't charge your EV during these hours. Do we think the owners listened to them - right. I would say most didn't abide - another @#%& you to the Governor and the Gov't in general.
It's no different than all the other suggestions that were given out by the Gov't that were ignored - 5000 person weddings, huge parties....

The issue with Texas is that they did not have contingency plans for the kind of cold weather that happened. The fallacy that wind turbines won't work in cold weather is just that, a fallacy. The issue with solar panels covered with snow is a problem but most places that use a lot of solar (my home state of Nevada for one) plan for that contingency, as well as for excessively cloudy days, and know that solar in on the back burner at specific times of the year. Over 88% of the Texas power grid utilizes natural gas. Natural gas is primarily shipped via pipeline and because natural gas has a great deal of moisture in it the pipes froze with the cold weather. Most areas expect the potential of freezing gas delivery pipelines and take measures to mitigate that. Texas did not. One might note that the City of El Paso does not participate in the same grid that the rest of Texas does and they have had no problem keeping the lights on. I also have to laugh (or maybe cry) when I see the office buildings in downtown Houston all lit up when friends and family in nearby Pearland, The Woodlands, and Katy were dark. Somebody has screwed up priorities. The natural gas pipeline freeze ups effected sales across the border as well. Mexico buys most it's natural gas from the United States to power it's north eastern region powerplants. We are currently in our snowbird mode in Puerto Vallarta and because natural gas could not be shipped we experienced rolling blackouts as far south as southwestern Jalisco on Tuesday Feb 16.

Attachments

• wind turbine in the cold.jpg
    wind turbine in the cold.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 4
The fallacy that wind turbines won't work in cold weather is just that, a fallacy.
So you say a plane with ice on it's wings will fly? It is not the cold that is the problem. This post was to bring to light that all green is a bad thing, just as you have said in your defense. When it comes to natural gas, I feel sorry for those that rely on natural gas powered power plants for there electric right now. have you seen the price on the commodity market?

Latest resources

Back