Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Kiotiken

RVF Regular
Hi all, back for some sage advice. My 98 mountain aire slide is not working very good. It goes out fine but when bringing back in is not coming in even. I have to get on a corner and help it. I'm sure it's an adjustment but don't know where to start. TIA Ken

If your setup is like my '93 KountryAire, and I suspect it is, it's a long shaft with a little motor and gearbox up at the front. The shaft looks to be one piece, but it isn't. Around the middle is a big nut that clamps the two halves together. On each side there are "flats" on the shafts that you can put a wrench on. The idea is to loosen the big nut which will allow the shafts to move independently. Then with you slide closed normally (without you having "helped" it) you can use your wrench to crank in the end that isn't closing completely. You might even crank the opposite end "out" just a smidge because that will help even it out better than just trying to squash one end in. Or so I found on mine.
That nut I think they call a "gland nut". And it is SOB'ing TIGHT. And when you're done it better be tight again or you might lose your adjustment shortly. I don't know what size it is but my 12" Crescent wrench barely went on it. I have since found a 14" Crescent and keep it just in case I ever have to adjust it again.

Disclaimer: Our Newmars might have used the exact same slides up until the 1997 and a half year model and then they went to something completely different in 1998. I have no way of knowing. I have seen hydraulic slides and such which are absolutely nothing like what I have described so there's a chance that everything I said was a waste and does not apply to you at all. We do not have the same year nor even the same model.

If your setup is like my '93 KountryAire, and I suspect it is, it's a long shaft with a little motor and gearbox up at the front. The shaft looks to be one piece, but it isn't. Around the middle is a big nut that clamps the two halves together. On each side there are "flats" on the shafts that you can put a wrench on. The idea is to loosen the big nut which will allow the shafts to move independently. Then with you slide closed normally (without you having "helped" it) you can use your wrench to crank in the end that isn't closing completely. You might even crank the opposite end "out" just a smidge because that will help even it out better than just trying to squash one end in. Or so I found on mine.
That nut I think they call a "gland nut". And it is SOB'ing TIGHT. And when you're done it better be tight again or you might lose your adjustment shortly. I don't know what size it is but my 12" Crescent wrench barely went on it. I have since found a 14" Crescent and keep it just in case I ever have to adjust it again.

Disclaimer: Our Newmars might have used the exact same slides up until the 1997 and a half year model and then they went to something completely different in 1998. I have no way of knowing. I have seen hydraulic slides and such which are absolutely nothing like what I have described so there's a chance that everything I said was a waste and does not apply to you at all. We do not have the same year nor even the same model.
Thank you will check all that out.

Latest resources

Back