Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Specific-General Finance/Cost Question (Trailer/RV Parks)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Uncle_Joe

RVF Regular
OK, here's the dilemma. (This post might just belong more in the "Campgrounds & RV Resorts" thread, but isn't an exact fit there either. I don't think double-posting is nice or even tolerated, but I might post a link to this one.)

I'm going to live in trailer full-time, working remote so constant internet access is paramount. Is it reasonable/realistic/practical to keep my total yearly campgrounds expenses (i.e all campground fees, including the utilities, etc) under $3500? I don't need to be always in a fully decked-out park, but do need dump my waste, refill fresh water, generators, etc., occasionally.
Intend on being mostly stationary but will travel some. I'm a single occupant.

Thanks in advance.

Well Joe! If you spend a month in rv resorts 1500 of your budget will have vanished. I assume 3500 is a monthly budget.

Don't dispare if that is not the case. In the west you can disperse camp! in most cases only having to move every two weeks. Add the winter months at BLM LTVA 7 month permit of 180. Solar panels and batteries, you can live cheaply.

By far I have only touched the tip of posabilities. You and your manorisms are sure to garner support or rejection, you will receive help or be ignored.

I enjoyed your introduction, so I anticipate your progress!

“total yearly campgrounds expenses (i.e all campground fees, including the utilities, etc) under $3500” would be $9.59/day. Its a wonderful goal, but probably unrealistic. That said, going to a cheap RV park once a week to dump, fill, charge, do laundry, etc at around $40/night would only be $2080. So with a small quiet genny and some level of solar to power the basics, you might be able to do it. It might not be comfortable, but possible. Also there are a lot of various govt agency parks (city, county, state, fed) with some level of hook-ups for less than $40. The Southwest is going to be your best bet for budget conscious and year round camping.

Some good info on the subject here:
And here:

A Thousand Trails membership might get you there as well depending on where you plan on going. That and some boondocking would do it.

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.
This gets me a bit closer and more clarity.
I did forget to mention that being in an RV Park is not a must only a necessity to refill/dump, and a generator + solar will be used.
Would love to know more specifics on free/low-cost options while keeping in mind 100% internet reliability being non-negotiable.
Thanks for the other links, I’ll research those.
Thanks

Last edited:
Well Joe! If you spend a month in rv resorts 1500 of your budget will have vanished. I assume 3500 is a monthly budget.

Don't dispare if that is not the case. In the west you can disperse camp! in most cases only having to move every two weeks. Add the winter months at BLM LTVA 7 month permit of 180. Solar panels and batteries, you can live cheaply.

By far I have only touched the tip of posabilities. You and your manorisms are sure to garner support or rejection, you will receive help or be ignored.

I enjoyed your introduction, so I anticipate your progress!
Thanks Kevin.

I don’t know whether there is a difference between “RV Resorts” and “trailer parks”, but I’m not looking for anything fancy.
As I said, as long as I have 99.68% Internet reliability and the ability to refill and dump, I’m good.
Will be in the Northwest, and most probably migrate to the SW in winter.

Thanks Kevin.

I don’t know whether there is a difference between “RV Resorts” and “trailer parks”, but I’m not looking for anything fancy.
As I said, as long as I have 99.68% Internet reliability and the ability to refill and dump, I’m good.
Will be in the Northwest, and most probably migrate to the SW in winter.
Allot 150 month for starlink and that can be the complete package! Stream, phone via internet phone, Internet with no data cap!!! Without which I would not have service at all, where I am parked.

The LTVA(long term visitor area),along the az/cal border at last date was 180 for a 7 month season. At least half have water, trash, and dump stations.

Rain barrel and water collection can supply most of your summer needs, as you move every 14 days. Sits baths can save a lot of water! Some buy their water from ro drinking water machines. You can time your trips to town to coincide with 14 day move frequency, and see much of the west!!!

That is how many struggling to survive in these times are making their stipen stretch month to month. Many are car and tent camping. Many that I personally know are doing it on 500 a month and by looking at them you would not know it!!!

To be honest, tiny trailers website is a better resource for the information you seek!!!

The biggest indicator they have freed themselves from the system, would be their grin!!!

Thanks for the info, Rich.
“under $3500” would be $9.59/day. Its a wonderful goal, but probably unrealistic.”, OK, OK, you don’t need to take it so literal, ya know. I’m perfectly fine with 9.60/day.
Heck, I could swing it even on 9.65… 🤣

Latest resources

Back