• Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Starlink and the ethernet adapter

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I don't think it can which is why I leave it on DHCP. The Pepwave handshakes with the Starlink router as you can see in my screenshot.
Got it!

My square dish plugs into a poe Injector, and then into my pepwave. I don't use the wifi modem device at all.

View attachment 15131
So you put an ethernet plug on the end of your dishy cable it seems. Wish some 3rd party would sell those, not something I want to do right now without a spare cable at least. Sounds like a future project...

Jim....you are correct, as I mentioned above Starlink has not unlocked the change IP address feature yet, probably in the future though. You would have no need to limit radio power at your park, but for those that find themselves in a crowded environment, that is another plus of using an external router that can turn the radio power down so as to reduce channel interference like most will experience at a crowded rally. There is a substantial Fakebook community on Starlink mobile and Starlink hacks that go into detail on the replacing the POE from the router and doing away with the Starlink router hardware completely. I believe RedBaron would have other quality links to the necessary details as well.

But regardless of whether you decide to run them together or not, the point I was trying to make is, you will have to go through the initial setup again to enable the bypassed modem. You can bypass the Starlink router via the app, but you can not reinitialize it without performing the initial setup again.
Your point was well made, appreciated & informative.
I dislike using cellular phones for anything other than conversing. My eyes are old & my fingers are big. Having to go through the initial setup again with the cellular phone app is a 'turn off' unless I can see a distinct advantage in doing so.
I have a tendency to be a little impatient at times... that factors in to how I do things. So far, if I have what appears to be an unobstructed view to the NW, I set up the DISHY on the tripod and it just seems to work very will with WiFi as WAN to the Peplink.
It's been my experience that the Peplink device does a very efficient job of managing multiple WAN sources in Priority 1.
Not trying to be negative as all the posts have been very informative.
I'm new to this & want to look at some of the more advanced capabilities & diagnostics that require the use of the phone app.......... as much as I dread it.

So you put an ethernet plug on the end of your dishy cable it seems. Wish some 3rd party would sell those, not something I want to do right now without a spare cable at least. Sounds like a future project...
Yes..just cut the end off and wire an ethernet. It is just a shielded cat6 cable with proprietary end.

THe POE is different than standard POE, the pairs are opposite. The device I am running allows me to choose which pairs get power, so nothing special, just wire everything 568B.

I have the surge protected version shown above installed at my campsite in Montana. The coach has the same one in it, without a surge/ground wire for when I am camping elsewhere.

I installed a pass thru for my pressure washer, and use that hole to get the cable outside. I have 150ft of starlink cable to place the dish anywhere I need to.

You would have no need to limit radio power at your park, but for those that find themselves in a crowded environment, that is another plus of using an external router that can turn the radio power down so as to reduce channel interference like most will experience at a crowded rally.
In most situations, that is 100% correct. But aside from the visitors at the park, I have a rental cabin on the property too, and I don't love them enough to provide free internet. :)

And then there is the possibility that Starlink may someday have a data cap. And if/when that happens, Internet may become a perk that has to be purchased or provided on a site by site basis. So being able to control access and bandwidth is something that I'm planning ahead for.

Even if your not planning on charging for it, a good password system is a must. The Ubiquity has some really good management tools available that can keep folks from misusing the service, and give you some control if it does happen.

THe POE is different than standard POE, the pairs are opposite. The device I am running allows me to choose which pairs get power, so nothing special, just wire everything 568B.
I hate to ask this, but from a noob position, what happens if I wire it backwards?
  • It just doesn't work?
  • It will never work again?

I hate to ask this, but from a noob position, what happens if I wire it backwards?
  • It just doesn't work?
  • It will never work again?
I don't know the answer.....never tried that!

Latest resources

Back