• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Starlink announces Data Caps!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
When Apple releases their updates (iPhone, iPad, Macs) that will eat up some severe bandwidth.

When Apple releases their updates (iPhone, iPad, Macs) that will eat up some severe bandwidth.
And Windows 11 as well, as everything gets uploaded to the cloud. But here's a little something that is good, they let you have free data between the hours of 11:00pm-7:00am. So try to schedule the updates between those times.

Not sure how long that will last, but that's their current plan. I watched this with ViaSat as well, and they eventually ended it.

Jim,
Rather one works from their RV or feels they need to stream media so they can be entertained while in their RV, I am of the opinion they should not depend on, or expect a RV park to provide free unlimited high speed internet, especially in locations such as your RV park.
There is no such thing as 'free', somebody is paying for it. We all need to be responsible users/consumers of our resources. When the cost of 'free stuff' is placed upon the consumer, they quickly realize it requires management, or do without.
I'm sure this recent policy change by Starlink has frustrated you, but IMO, so many in the RV community have unrealistic expectations on what they should receive for free or at minimal cost at a RV park.
This is just my observation/opinion. There is no intent to offend anyone & I will not be offended it anyone chooses to disagree with me.

Jim,
Rather one works from their RV or feels they need to stream media so they can be entertained while in their RV, I am of the opinion they should not depend on, or expect a RV park to provide free unlimited high speed internet, especially in locations such as your RV park.
There is no such thing as 'free', somebody is paying for it. We all need to be responsible users/consumers of our resources. When the cost of 'free stuff' is placed upon the consumer, they quickly realize it requires management, or do without.
I'm sure this recent policy change by Starlink has frustrated you, but IMO, so many in the RV community have unrealistic expectations on what they should receive for free or at minimal cost at a RV park.
Could not agree more with this.

Unfortunately, camping has become a luxury pastime, and Internet and cell service is often a necessity & requirement to having those people visit.

But I can only do so much. And with 8 sites, it just isn't possible to foot the bill to furnish unlimited Internet to everyone and still stay in business. So what we've done is this. We will provide Free WiFi that will allow visitors to use WiFi calling, access Facebook, Pinterest, check emails, and browse the web. But if streaming movies and video conferencing is needed, we will have to charge a $5.00 a day surcharge.

I hope that will not be too big a burden for anyone, but that's about the best we can do.

…We will provide Free WiFi that will allow visitors to use WiFi calling, access Facebook, Pinterest, check emails, and browse the web. But if streaming movies and video conferencing is needed, we will have to charge a $5.00 a day surcharge.

I hope that will not be too big a burden for anyone, but that's about the best we can do.
I think this is more than fair enough.

Would be great if the tech would allow you to set a GB limit per day per site/user id, and when they run out it is throttled like Starlink is going to do. If they want more they pay for additional, either up front so they never hit the throttle or wait once they hit it.

Could not agree more with this.

Unfortunately, camping has become a luxury pastime, and Internet and cell service is often a necessity & requirement to having those people visit.

But I can only do so much. And with 8 sites, it just isn't possible to foot the bill to furnish unlimited Internet to everyone and still stay in business. So what we've done is this. We will provide Free WiFi that will allow visitors to use WiFi calling, access Facebook, Pinterest, check emails, and browse the web. But if streaming movies and video conferencing is needed, we will have to charge a $5.00 a day surcharge.

It seems there are always those that take advantage of a good thing and ruin it for the majority of the guests. Personally, I think $5 is not enough for those that want to abuse your service. $10 would be a minimum if it were me.

I think a respectful message would be better served:

"As we have no cellular in this area we are fortunate to offer Starlink. Our bandwidth is limited so we ask our customers to please be considerate of your Internet usage. Deer Springs offers great outdoors destinations and we recommend getting out and seeing this beautiful area during your stay."

And have them sign that they read this.

I think a respectful message would be better served:

"As we have no cellular in this area we are fortunate to offer Starlink. Our bandwidth is limited so we ask our customers to please be considerate of your Internet usage. Deer Springs offers great outdoors destinations and we recommend getting out and seeing this beautiful area during your stay."

And have them sign that they read this.
Unfortunately, these days messages such as this are way too easily forgotten and ignored. It wasn’t that long ago that a person’s handshake was as good as a contract. Nowadays it seems as though everything is challenged no mater what was signed or agreed too. 🥲🥹

Not when Ryker is standing there looking to practice his bite control skills. stop please, I’ll sign and abide by the rules.

1667935609158.jpeg

Jim,
Hate to say this............IMO as soon as you set conditions on what you will provide for free & what conditions there will be a fee assessed, it seems like human nature to somehow 'game' the system.
I understand & sympathize with your dilemma regarding WiFi. I wish you well.

Latest resources

Back