Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I installed a starlink dish up on the roof and now trying to connect the dish to the pepwave 5g router via the wan. The dish did not come with a starlink router as you can connect directly from the Ethernet port to
The wan port. It is showing as connected in the admin panel but I am not able to the starlink app to the dish via the wan. Starlink says in the app you may need to set up
A static route which I tried and didn’t work. I may have done this part wrong.

How do I use the Starlink App with my 3rd party router?

You can utilize the Starlink app to view statistics, access terminal settings and contact support.

Configuration may be required for the Starlink app to work with some 3rd party routers.

After you have set up your 3rd party router and connected to Starlink with the WAN port, open the Starlink app. If the app says "Starlink unreachable", create a static route in your router configuration settings.

Please refer to your router's documentation for instructions on setting a static route.

• Network destination: 192.168.100.0
  • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway: 192.168.100.1
  • Interface: WAN

Note: These options may differ depending on your specific hardware and network configuration.

Starlink is up and activated. I will post some screen shots of what you need to do in the pepwave router. First is enable the wan. The second is configuring the wan to use starlink as its source. Once that happened, it started connecting and I updated my account as I had ordered a gen 3 and returned it. Did a dish update and it’s done. I have to play with the setting as I was not happy with the speeds so far and it is below what I expected. More to come on that.

Here is my initial speed test. That’s not great and I recall @Joe Hogan getting much better speeds with his setup. Keep in mind he’s probably using the starlink router where the settings are optimized and I need to do the same on the pepwave. Paging Dr @Neal for speed support. Hopefully he sees this page amongst the many Amazon boxes scattered across his desk.

1724138720085.png

First, unless you are using a commercial contract with Starlink you might get throttled during peak periods in congested areas. With a properly aligned “ dish” and minimum obstructions you should see much higher speeds.
Look at Alignment page and obstructions page in app.
We have seen incredibly low latency and high bandwidth.

1724146449059.jpeg

Here is my initial speed test. That’s not great and I recall @Joe Hogan getting much better speeds with his setup. Keep in mind he’s probably using the starlink router where the settings are optimized and I need to do the same on the pepwave. Paging Dr @Neal for speed support. Hopefully he sees this page amongst the many Amazon boxes scattered across his desk.

View attachment 25463
Sorry, unboxing knife injury, speed opening fail again. Okay, hmm, I wonder if you may have had any bad thoughts or communications related to Elon lately? I wonder if Elon shutdown your spaceball? Have you tried incents?

Give it some time, it may update itself, maybe you were throttled, who knows. It sounds like you have things setup, nothing is throttling it in the Pepwave, i.e. I can't think of anything that could slow it down from a config standpoint. Give it some time, testing at various times of the day, smile towards the sky (keep hands in pockets), tell Elon you're his bestie, it will hopefully improve.

@Joe Hogan that is what I thought you are getting blazing speed. i have the in motion dish which is affixed to the roof permanently so there is no alignment that I am aware of.
I think I may need to go on X and kiss and make up (horrid thought) with Elon because I have not said nice things about him. Good suggestion @Neal. We are moving again today to the coast so let’s see what kind of speed we get. It probably does need time. More to come.

The SpeedTest can give wildly different results during the day. The initial setup takes some time for the Starlink to "find" itself and upload appropriate software for the area.
I ran into delays at a number of locations as the Starlink oriented itself.

Not familiar with the permanent mounted antenna, yet. I have the Mini that you have to setup and align.
If there are trees in the way, that slows things down considerably.
Open sky is your friend.

there were a couple of dish updates. Wow. We return to our regular scheduled programming.

1724161184913.png

I have the Gen 3 and I haven't permanently mounted it and may not. We are traveling in NM, CO, and currently in ID. My download speed averages in the high 300's, upload 16mps. Last night I "installed the dish by laying it on my towbar while hooked to my truck. It took about 5 minutes to communicate with Elon's satellites to lock on the best direction. I'm using the router that came with the Gen 3.

View attachment 25463
I just ordered it. Hope I get better than that. I am getting 75 with my hotspot and only two bars of signal.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back