Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

rswitzer1

RVF Regular
I just bought a 2022 Forest River Sierra 5th wheel with all kinds of electronics in it so I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether to use a surge protector on the input line and if so what brand are you using. Leaning towards the Hughes Watchdog 50 amp w/ EPO.

I use a progressive industries at the pedestal. Tells me instantly if wiring is correct or not.

progressive-ind.png

In a short answer YES do use a surge protector.
To start, make sure the breaker for the outlet on the power post is OFF. Then plug the surge protector into the power post. Then plug in the cable to the trailer. THEN flip the breaker ON.

Do the reverse when disconnecting. Breaker OFF first, unplug the cable to the trailer, unplug the surge protector. Leave the breaker OFF for the next occupant.

I have my trailer cable secured to my surge protector using a length of bungee cord. This allows me to plug and unplug the cable at the surge protector, but with it still attached by the bungee. That way I won't forget and leave the surge protector.

In a short answer YES do use a surge protector.
To start, make sure the breaker for the outlet on the power post is OFF. Then plug the surge protector into the power post. Then plug in the cable to the trailer. THEN flip the breaker ON.

Do the reverse when disconnecting. Breaker OFF first, unplug the cable to the trailer, unplug the surge protector. Leave the breaker OFF for the next occupant.

I have my trailer cable secured to my surge protector using a length of bungee cord. This allows me to plug and unplug the cable at the surge protector, but with it still attached by the bungee. That way I won't forget and leave the surge protector.
Which one do you have?

I have the Watchdog. On my last class C I had Progressive Industries. An EMS is a must, in my opinion.

I also have the Progressive Industries HW50C. I also installed Progressive Industries EMS on three 5'vers I had prior to the coach.

Short answer is ALWAYS I'll tell you a little story;

We bought a new Forest River Cedar Creek 5th wheel several years ago, we had only had it a few weeks when I plugged it in and fried a good portion of the 5th wheel. Turned out there was a short in the cord causing a Open Neutral which applied 220Volts to most of my 5th wheel. It gets worse, both the dealer and Cedar Creek told me it was my fault and to take it up with my insurance company despite the fact I had hired an electrician to check my setup.

Had I had a very good surge protector none of this would have been an issue. It's really cheap insurance.

We, too, have a Progressive Industries EMS HW50C and I strongly suggest that the OP consider one of the EMS devices made by Progressive and not just the smart surge suppressor. IMO the chances of damage are far greater from things such as miswired pedestals than they are from true surges. From what I read on Progressive's website, its surge suppressors have "miswired pedestal indicators" rather than having the ability of preventing the power from a miswired pedestal from ever entering your RV. Yes, you pay a bit more for the EMS but IMHO it is worth it.

Latest resources

Back