• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Take That Flag Down Or Get Out

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Be mindful of flag etiquette. It falls under Federal Law.

The Blue Line flag should be flown below the US flag. Never above or to the side. The other flag is expressing personal opinion or belief, which is covered in the 1st Amendment, but with limitations on intent. If it should offend someone, since the campground is a private facility, the owner/manager may make the decision regarding the display of such or asked to have it removed, based on complaints of their customers. Their US dollar is just as good but no better, than your US dollar.

I was told in one place that I can't fly my Confederate Battle Flag below my US flag. I associate it with pride in my Southern heritage, States rights, and historical commemoration of the Civil War. {We can't deny it didn't occur.} While opponents associate it with the glorification of the Civil War, racism, slavery, segregation, white supremacy, and intimidation of African Americans. As a piece-loving citizen, I did remove it for the remainder of our stay. Issue resolved.

In conclusion, perhaps one should find a location more conducive to your personal taste and beliefs that coincide with like others.

Want to relate an incident that happened to us recently. It was unexpected and I still have a hard time believing it happened. I don't want to create a political debate by sharing this experience.

We are in a SW Florida RV resort and have been since the first of December. We are booked until April 1st. Since our arrival I have had my Uncommon-USA flag pole up with an American Blue Line flag on top and a second flag on the bottom. The second flag is a "make America great" President Trump flag (red, white, blue).

Last week the owner of the park, and her assistant, came to my door and told me I had to take my second flag down. When I asked why she said someone had "complained" and she did not want to start having problems so it was just easier to have everyone take their secondary flags down. At the time there were probably 6 or 7 sites out of 300+ that were flying such secondary flags. I told her this did not make sense because I had been displaying these flags for about 45 days with no problems. She insisted the secondary flag had to come down.

I told her I would not remove the flag just because someone complained. She became upset and informed me that either I take the flag down or she would evict me from the park. I again told her I would not take the flag down. Then I asked both of them if they knew what the blue line American flag stood for that I was displaying over the President Trump flag. Neither one of them had a clue what the blue line flag represented. I told them it was to honor Police Officers. I further told them that I served my country in Viet Nam then returned home to start a 34 year career as a police officer. I told them that my service, and my blue line flag gave me the right to fly the second flag under the first and no one was going to make me take it down. I asked her if she planned on providing me a refund on my deposit and she said she would. My neighbor (and buddy) who had the same flag displayed had walked over and he also said he would not take his flag down.

The resort owner told us she was a Trump supporter but was only trying to "keep the peace". There was additional conversation about someone complaining that I won't get into here. She finally admitted that she had just walked into the office and her manager had informed her of the complaint and situation with the flags. She said they could stay up for now and she would go back and talk to "some people" and give us a final decision soon.

About 30 minutes later she returned to my site and said the flags could remain. Since this incident last week between 6 and 8 additional sites are now displaying similar secondary flags.

There are a couple Florida statutes that could come into play if this would have played out. I understand that private campgrounds have the right to establish rules, however I felt this was overstepping. I guess it just makes me wonder what could be next from a campground, rules forbidding firearm possession? I am relieved that this campground owner took a minute and made the correct decision.
Me I would have asked her for a copy of the rules and make my stand accordingly!

We don't allow flags of a political nature to be flown at Deer Springs simply because I don't have the time to babysit someone who is such a pansy that they are offended by such things.

We fly two flags here from the day we open to the last day of Autumn. If either of them offends you, Deer Springs is not the park for you.

DSCN6105.JPG

Since this post began (2020) we moved from that SW Florida campground. They ended up creating new rules restricting the flying of flags only to U.S. or Canadian for the upcoming camping season.

We moved our winter spot 80 miles north because we found a place that was a lot nicer and a lot cheaper and have been here every since. We did not move because the old resort created additional flag rules. The resort we are in had rules against political flags so you don't see any to start with.

I agree with ManlyMan and Sanda when they said "judge people by the flags they fly as to whether or not I consider them to be stupid" With gas and diesel almost 100% more I haven't observed a Biden/Harris bumper sticker in a gas station or truck stop for several months!

good for you! An RV park shouldn't be dictating what you can personally display based on one person's complaint, If it's not breaking any laws.
A certain business in our area, which is the major employer here, with locations all over the world, had been displaying a secondary flag that's extremely offensive to us, but no one dares complain. (I think that they have recently been forced to stop. - we'll see next month)
My own acid test if I start demanding something myself, is would I want the same right granted to someone on the exact opposite side?

A l

A lot of folks say that polarization is what’s wrong with the country today. I tend to not think so. It’s the villainization of people by those who have a different opinion. There’s nothing wrong with being a Trump supporter, Clinton supporter, Obama supporter, Bush supporter, Gun Rights supporter, Gun Control supporter, Environment supporter.
People have just forgotten how to have meaningful conversations with each other.

I’d challenge everyone on this forum, if you see someone flying a flag or rocking a bumper sticker that you don’t agree with, maybe talk to em about it. Don’t villanize them, just have a good conversation. Ask em about it. Yeah, some folks are going to tell you to take a walk but I’d bet you’ll be surprised by how many wouldn’t if you approach them the right way and in a respectful manner. Those conversations are the only way to come to understand each other’s perspectives and learn why we all support what we support. You might change their mind. They might change yours. More likely, you’ll both still have different views, but hey, you might get a free beer out of it and possibly even a new friend. Certainly, you’ll at least get a little more understanding about those on the opposite side of the fence from you.

You wanna complain about my flag (sidenote: I dont fly a flag BUT IF I DID)? Come knock on my door and complain to me. Don’t go tattle to the park management like a 7 year old. And dont mind me when I immediately walk away from you back into my rig, I’m just grabbing you a beer and a chair.

Pretty amazing @FL-JOE, I’m glad you didn’t take it down. As @turbopilot said, that’d be an awful slippery slope.
very well said thank you.

Man, what kind of person complains about a flag someone is flying? You can fly whatever flag you want for all I care. There is no flag I can think of that couldn’t be interpreted as representing some form of controversy. Okay maybe the Canadian flag but that’s the only safe one. Fly a confederate flag, a MAGA flag, China flag, heck even fly the US Flag upside down if you want. It’s an expression of speech if you ask me. I might or might not like someone’s flag but complain to park management about it? Not a chance. At most, I might go buy a flag that is the antithesis to their flag and fly it on my site just for kicks. People have forgotten how to agree to disagree and respect the rights of others to express themselves in a reasonable manner. A flag is probably the least invasive manner in which to do that. I say fly your flag. Fly it high. Anyone who doesn’t like it, go buy a flag.
We had a neighbor that posted an offensive political sign once - bothered me that it was divisive.
I pass that house almost every time I go out, and almost every time, I'm reminded of that ugly sign. I don't display signs for any candidates.

Latest resources

Back