Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
As some of you know, our 7-year-old German Shepherd inured the carpal tendon in his right leg. It’s a serious injury and multiple vets agreed that Ryker would be crippled, and we all needed to make changes for him to adapt to a new lifestyle. At the same time, we had a 3-month RV trip scheduled and we knew getting him in/out of the RV several times a day was going to be challenging.

But the trip had been planned for almost a year, so we loaded up the rig and headed out. On the second day the engine light came on just before getting to our lot in Silver Springs, FL. Turned out to be a DEF header, which effectively killed going any further and we had to cancel the trip to Key West. Crippled dog, damaged coach, canceled trip to Key West, crap, what else can happen.

While we worked on getting the coach repaired, we made a visit to a local veterinarian who it turned out, was married to another veterinarian that specialized in ligament issues in horses. She called him while we were in her office and asked if he would take a look at Ryker, and that got the ball rolling. Under Dr. Rullan’s guidance, Ryker was started on some progressive treatments that have produced very good results. He is now walking on all 4’s, where before, the injured leg was virtually useless. He uses a ramp to get in and out of the coach, but he does it on his own vs. me having to carry him in and out. The last week or so, he’s been walking so well that most people don’t even knows he’s hurt. This is a far cry from what the other vets told us to expect.

Then on Saturday, I noticed the coolest site in the park was up for sale. I met with the seller today, an interesting man to say the least. We agreed on a price, signed the paperwork, and it looks like were going to be moving! What a strange set of events had to occur for all this good stuff to be happening to us? Had the DEF header not died, we would have been in Key West and never met Dr. Rullan. Ryker would still be limping around on 3 legs, and we wouldn’t have found this awesome new place to spend our winters. Kind of interesting how that DEF header failed when it did, isn’t it?

My relationship with the creator has never been one that is addressed by visiting a church once a week, but it exists none the less. And I never cease to be amazed how he directs my actions and provides me with so much more than I deserve. Only he could be responsible for taking what was by all facets, a complete fiasco, and turn it into such a positive alternative.

It's almost as if it was predetermined.

DSC09576.JPG

DSCN3492.JPG

Jim, I am so glad to hear the positive news about Ryker. I also feel blessed to have what we have,but sometimes don't think it's deserved.

Jim, I am so glad to hear the positive news about Ryker.
So 3 times a week we load up and drive 30-40 minutes to the Equine Performance Center where Ryker does his hydrotherapy. Today during consultation, Dr. Rullan decided to add 15 minutes of Magna wave treatments to his routine as well. So it’s a pretty big deal for Ryker and he’s usually exhausted when we leave.

Next Wednesday he will go for his second (and final) Stem Cell injection. They sedate him and then do the injections so he's a mess the rest of the day.

The next 6-months is critical as the new tendons are, as Dr. Rullan referred to them, “baby tendons”, that are carrying a full-grown dog, and we have to be very careful that he doesn’t jump or do something stupid and damage them.

It’s exhausting for sure.

Martha and I are following Rykers progress,thanks for the updates Jim.
Thanks buddy, check this out. . .

The fellow we’re buying the lot from is an interesting fellow for sure. He’s 92 and spry as any 60-year-old anywhere. He brought me a Newmar Cap as he had several. Having bought 6 rigs in 6 years, he was well set on hats. (Correction from yesterday when I said he bought 6 rigs in 2 years. I swear, that’s what I thought he told me, but in retrospect, I should have realized that was not possible.”)

So, we’re sitting on my deck talking about changes in the company since the acquisition, and he suddenly pulls out his cell phone and hits a speed-dial number. He talks to someone for a few minutes and then he says, “Here Jim, say hello to John Sullivan. He was the VP of Newmar before they sold, and he is a frequent visitor at the place you are buying from me.”, and he hands me his phone.

And now I’m talking to the past VP of Newmar, who was extremely gracious with his time, and we chatted for awhile about the past and current Newmar Corp. Just before we hung up, I admitted I had no idea why Charles called him or why he suddenly handed me the phone, but I enjoyed our conversation. He laughed and said we’ll probably see each other again somewhere down the line.

Truly an interesting day.

Thanks buddy, check this out. . .

The fellow we’re buying the lot from is an interesting fellow for sure. He’s 92 and spry as any 60-year-old anywhere. He brought me a Newmar Cap as he had several. Having bought 6 rigs in 6 years, he was well set on hats. (Correction from yesterday when I said he bought 6 rigs in 2 years. I swear, that’s what I thought he told me, but in retrospect, I should have realized that was not possible.”)

So, we’re sitting on my deck talking about changes in the company since the acquisition, and he suddenly pulls out his cell phone and hits a speed-dial number. He talks to someone for a few minutes and then he says, “Here Jim, say hello to John Sullivan. He was the VP of Newmar before they sold, and he is a frequent visitor at the place you are buying from me.”, and he hands me his phone.

And now I’m talking to the past VP of Newmar, who was extremely gracious with his time, and we chatted for awhile about the past and current Newmar Corp. Just before we hung up, I admitted I had no idea why Charles called him or why he suddenly handed me the phone, but I enjoyed our conversation. He laughed and said we’ll probably see each other again somewhere down the line.

Truly an interesting day.
You're right about interestingly for sure.

Jim, I'm thankful you're giving all the credit to God. I learned several years ago that God has always put me in the right place with the right person at just the right time. I hope you thanked him!

@Jim, you are a natural born storyteller. Thank you for sharing your moving and inspiring experience. I am so happy to hear that Ryker is doing so well and soon those baby tendons are going to get strong so he can run and play again. Wishing y'all much happiness in your new winter digs. God is Good!

@Jim, you are a natural born storyteller. Thank you for sharing your moving and inspiring experience. I am so happy to hear that Ryker is doing so well and soon those baby tendons are going to get strong so he can run and play again. Wishing y'all much happiness in your new winter digs. God is Good!
Thank you, Renee!

Jim,
We are so glad that Ryker is making such fantastic progress! A blessing, for sure.
Divine intervention and guidance is a wonderful thing! We are given the choices to make!

And like you & Trish, Marilyn & I are and have been blessed, and guide by the good Lord above!

Enjoy your new "digs"!;)

Latest resources

Back