• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Tire Air pressure Source

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
So as the article states the atmosphere has roughly 80% nitrogen. Those places like Costco that fill with nitrogen, have nitrogen generators.
The advantage that comes to mind according to my research on the subject was only touched in the article.

The static created within the tires while you go down the road creates Ozone. Ozone is destructive to rubber. (Filling with nitrogen eliminates checking from the inside of the Tire). .

As the oxygen seeps through the Tire because of the pressure, the tire actually works as a nitrogen concentrator(generator), over time all the oxygen will seep out of the Tire leaving nitrogen and moisture. That is the reason for topping off tire pressure, by the way! It is also why you should be separating the moisture/oil from your compressor.

Using the tire for this purpose however oxidizes the carcass of the tire, so is detrimental to the tire life.

Thinking about picking up a tank of Nitrogen for the garage. Simple enough to top off between trips. If there is going to be large changes in elevation or temps, I'll just add a little bit for the on road changes...

When we ordered the Newmar DSDP, I added a front air chuck located in the generator pull out area. My thinking is it would be nice to have an external air source for tires and other momentary uses. If the engine is running or not?

Am I correct in thinking that the on board air pressure reserve can be used to top off tires? Or will I still need to drag around the Viair compressor?
I do have an air hookup in our basement from the factory. It does a good job of airing up my tires. I do have the engine running when ever I do this. I do believe this is from the compressor for the air bags as well.

Latest resources

Back