• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tire pressure monitors

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Silly question but the tire pressure monitor is it as easy as replacing the stem cap or does it take a professional to install?
It depends on the type you buy. If the transmitters are actually in the tire, which is most dependable like the ones on your regular driver, you have to break down and remount each tire. That will require a professional. If the transmitters are on the valve stems, you just screw them on. Also, if you have a Motorhome and a dinghy, you will need to install a signal booster. It’s easy to do but you may want somebody to install it.

Glad it worked for you in those cases Gizmo. I have never experienced a failed tire on any of my RVs in approximately 80,000 traveling miles since 2011 (knocking on wood). However, on two occasions I have had rubber valve stems fail, once on a 28' enclosed trailer and once on a tow dolly. In each of those cases I had my low psi limit set so close that the alarm immediately sounded and I could slowly pull off and save the tires. Actually in the case of the tow dolly I was able to get the jack under the frame to jack it up before the tire went all the way down.

Anyway, if your system is working for you then that is all that counts. I'll just stick to checking my monitor at rest stops and prior to hitting the road in the morning.

I will say that there have been occasions where I thought I either heard a different road noise, or maybe detected a little different feel in the wheel, and I had my DW watch as my system cycled through all the tires to make sure everything was still okay. But as far as me staring at a TPMS or even glancing at one every 20 minutes or so, I'm just not going to do it.

My Bride turns out TST monitor towards her, she monitors it and if she sees a temp changing that she is concerned about she will tell me what is happening.
One less thing for me to do and she likes having something to do.

Latest resources

Back