• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tire pressure monitors

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm resurrecting this thread with a question regarding the display monitor vs the phone app (TTS vs Tireminder). My question is with the app based technology and you're relying on an alert on your phone, if your phone is in Drive Mode will you still get the alert? Or is the display more "real time"?

EDIT: I came across the Tireminder A1AS which offers readings on both an app and a monitor simultaneously. This might be the best option.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider (phone vs separate monitor) is the permanent monitor allows you to keep a constant eye on the tire data, while driving.

Another thing to consider (phone vs separate monitor) is the permanent monitor allows you to keep a constant eye on the tire data, while driving.
I agree, can never have enough gauges. Watching all the gauges Helps to pass the hours driving through corn and bean fields.

I used the TST brand for years and they worked and have good tech support. I switched to Tire Minder because I didn't have to sit and watch the blink blink blink tire pressure blink blink blink tire pressure one tire at a time. I like the Tire Minder display since at one glance I can see all the tire pressures or the temperatures. In two years and 20,000 miles, I have not had a lost signal or false alarm. It is a large screen and below is the picture of the TST and the Tire Minder. The
Tire Minder.jpeg
NS is because our toad isn't within range.

That Tire Minder will be my next one for the reasons you mention. Thanks for the write up.

The downside of TST is what Gizmo describes, cannot see all tires at once.

The upside to TST - if you have multiple vehicle configurations (different towed vehicles or different towing vehicles) that one system head can work with the various combinations.
If I was going to buy a new system, I would take a long hard look at the Tire Minder with that large display.

I'm resurrecting this thread with a question regarding the display monitor vs the phone app (TTS vs Tireminder). My question is with the app based technology and you're relying on an alert on your phone, if your phone is in Drive Mode will you still get the alert? Or is the display more "real time"?

EDIT: I came across the Tireminder A1AS which offers readings on both an app and a monitor simultaneously. This might be the best option.
That is what mine does. I have used the app but don't like using my phone to monitor the tires. My luck would be when someone called that when I get alert. They do have a smaller monitor that shows all the 8 tires then flips to another screen and shows the toad tires.

We will have to agree to disagree on the size and importance of a large display that will show all the tires at once.

Since 2011 I have ran (full time traveling) my TST brand system. With different RVs over the years I have had the need to run as many as 12 sensors and as few as 4. Currently utilizing 6 for my fiver toy hauler. I don't try to monitor psi and temp of each tire when I am driving down the road. I find it too distracting and not worth the effort. I have my limits set and I know the TST alarm will sound if those limits are broached. To me staring at a TPMS screen isn't much different than texting while driving, just too distracting and not worth the risk.

We will have to agree to disagree on the size and importance of a large display that will show all the tires at once.

Since 2011 I have ran (full time traveling) my TST brand system. With different RVs over the years I have had the need to run as many as 12 sensors and as few as 4. Currently utilizing 6 for my fiver toy hauler. I don't try to monitor psi and temp of each tire when I am driving down the road. I find it too distracting and not worth the effort. I have my limits set and I know the TST alarm will sound if those limits are broached. To me staring at a TPMS screen isn't much different than texting while driving, just too distracting and not worth the risk.
I have had two events with tires and both times I notice the one tire pressure increasing more than the other tires. A quick check of the temp and temp higher than the other tires I pulled over before the alarm told me that the tire come apart and damaged my RV. I agree that the TST is too distracting to monitor but the Tire Minder I can check at the same speed I can check the dash gauges with just a quick glance.
I have not had a tire problem in my Class A but you bet if I see one front tire at 120 degrees and 120 PSI and the other front tire climbs to 150 degrees and 135 PSI I going to find a spot to pull over before the alarm goes off and tells me my tire has come apart.

Glad it worked for you in those cases Gizmo. I have never experienced a failed tire on any of my RVs in approximately 80,000 traveling miles since 2011 (knocking on wood). However, on two occasions I have had rubber valve stems fail, once on a 28' enclosed trailer and once on a tow dolly. In each of those cases I had my low psi limit set so close that the alarm immediately sounded and I could slowly pull off and save the tires. Actually in the case of the tow dolly I was able to get the jack under the frame to jack it up before the tire went all the way down.

Anyway, if your system is working for you then that is all that counts. I'll just stick to checking my monitor at rest stops and prior to hitting the road in the morning.

I will say that there have been occasions where I thought I either heard a different road noise, or maybe detected a little different feel in the wheel, and I had my DW watch as my system cycled through all the tires to make sure everything was still okay. But as far as me staring at a TPMS or even glancing at one every 20 minutes or so, I'm just not going to do it.

Latest resources

Back