• Commercial/Vendors welcome

To go where no RV'er has gone before

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@MapNerd I was impressed with them. I was not a believer a year prior and didn't get them when I knew I was going north into frozen AZ. I'm really glad I had them, in fact they were required for the drive, which of course I wished I had known about and wouldn't have driven that pass or that day. But I had no slippage, they are effective. I only installed them on the drive axle. The steer axle probably would be smart as well but I had no issues. I did not nor would I do the tag tires. I did not do inner tires nor would you install it there I don't think as you have to put them over top of the tire. You must adhere to the speeds and remove them when you're clear of the snow/ice. I destroyed mine probably by going too fast and not pulling over when clear of the snow. Their customer service was outstanding and they sent me a courtesy replacement. They do stow compact prior to use, getting them compact again after use would be interesting.

I do recommend if you find yourself in need. Again, I came up to a location where all the trucks were pulled over, I had no option to turn around, etc.

I’ve carried them since I bought my coach in 2017, but not yet used them. Cheap insurance. But I’ve sworn off trips in the snow due to slide topper hassles and corrosion issues.

I know this is an OLD thread...but I purchased "Snow Socks" recently and will be using them this weekend as I take a group of Youth to Winter Camp (NOT in RV). I will be driving a SUV. With decent reviews (and qualifying for chains substitute - legally) I decided to try an easier method of "chaining up". My question is...In an automobile equipped with AWD would one put the snow socks on the front or rear tires ? Not really up to speed on the snow driving protocol 😉

Blessings

paging Dr. @Neal. This is right up his alley.

I would put them on all four if you could, otherwise front is probably best if it's AWD or FWD. Best to consult the auto socks people and ask them, they offer good customer service, or check their website. I prefer wearing a kamikaze headband when driving my coach in the snow :)

Hmmm...all four can't happen in time (although that would be ideal), so I'm leaning on the steer (front) tires. I'll report back the results 😊 I'll have white knuckles for sure ! Blessings

I would want to know the primary drive wheels. That would be front if transverse engine.

...or a SANE rv'er!

As some know many went south, I prefer to go north, okay, that's not entirely true, I had business in Yakima, WA and due to covid elected to drive instead of fly and make it a journey. Journey it sure was, adventure not so much. I thought I'd escape Yakima without the joys of winter, at least the white stuff or clear stuff. The seas parted from a recent snow and cleared, it was in the 50's, unusually mild. Snow wasn't supposed to happen until Saturday and I was leaving Friday. For the first time in a long time the weatherman was wrong, yeah, I know...it snowed Thursday. As I wasn't expecting much I didn't react to it "properly" such as closing my slides. So Friday came and we have several inches on the ground and of course I can't get my full wall slide (FWS) closed as the slide topper, wonderful design, is folding up on itself instead of rolling up. I tried getting up on my stick ladder which is a death trap in itself and sweep off the snow, no luck, won't close. I then try my wand I got for this, it did help to spray hot water but now I have compacted slush. I had to then use my telescoping ladder, with no one around to hold the ladder, placed on the snow, to get up and clear with my hands (soaked gloves). I got the slide closed 99% of the way and I'm ready to drive. I put my AutoSocks on to get me to the Interstate which was about 10 miles and that worked fine. Whew!

About 20 minutes away the roads cleared, ahhhh, home free, let's get out of here. Then an hour later snow cover again...crap! I'm fine, taking it carefully then as I get into OR I see trucks lined up on the side of the road putting chains on. WHAAAAAAT?? What is up ahead? The roads don't look thaaaat bad. Is there something I don't know about? Well major CRAP, I better pull over and put on the AutoSocks again, thanks God I bought them before venturing north on this trip! THEY WORK and are a lifesaver, literally! I can tell you that had I not had the AutoSocks I would have not been able to get off the side of the road where we "chain up" as I had to roll forward to get the otherside of the AutoSock on and I didn't roll, the tire slid in place. AutoSocks on I pulled right out and on my way. AutoSocks have a 30mph max speed which I adhered to.

On the other side, maybe two hours later I removed the AutoSocks and continued into ID to Meridian/Boise KOA where I stayed a week ago. Thinking I was home free...wrong! Cars everywhere in ditches and cops forcing the interstate to slow down to 25mph. BLACK ICE! Yaye, just when I think I'm almost there, 30mi away took over an hour to complete. I made it. And now I sitting here in 6 inches of snow but after boondocking a week behind a maintenance facility I at least have full hookups, although my FWS is frozen shut due to the wet folded slide topper but that's fine.

On this trip I decided next year I'm going to lead a caravan into northern Canada for those that want to join. I can't imagine how boring Florida must be. I realize the 30 slots I'll make available will probably be sold out in seconds but I'll let you know when registration opens. I know many of you want to go north with me next winter, your dream will come true.

I got a good chuckle out of this as well as learned something. The chuckle a few years ago we were traveling to Phoenix from Iowa in March. (the week the country shut down due to COVID) We were trekking through New Mexico to our Harvest Host in Santa Fe. When we arrived we quickly figured out that we could not fit in the lot at the host even though it indicated we could. Have you ever driven in old town Santa Fe with a 40' Class A and F150 SuperCrew toad? Let me tell you it was not fun. We talked to the host and went on our way to a Walton RV Park (Walmart lot) . We got permission and prepared a meal and then retired only to wake up to 4" of the white stuff. As in your case slides were out and toppers weighted down with snow. This of course is when I discovered my beautiful expanding ladder was resting in our heated garage at home. Another Class A had pulled in not to far away and they came over with a ladder and broom and helped us get to the point where the slide would also close about 90% so we could move. We warmed up fast once on the road and were soon able to retract the slide completely. What I learned from you post? "Autosocks" I had to look them up and I can see they are in my future. Thanks and Have a Good Day!

Latest resources

Back