• Commercial/Vendors welcome

To go where no RV'er has gone before

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I thought I was home free in Salt Lake with it being warm and raining on arrival. Nope, woke up to another 1-2 inches of snow meaning back on the ladder to clear slide toppers and as we had rain and it was in the 20's we have black ice. Late day drive to Vegas. Don't be jealous!

Be careful out there, @Neal! Safe travels to Vegas. By the time you get to southern Utah (St. George) you should be out of the snow.

TJ

As to chains lasting, one thing about the route yesterday was the highway landmines. Quite a few chains separated from truck tires and that makes for some sporty obstacles in slippery conditions. I learned my lesson once on hitting road trash, do all you can to avoid it. Basement doors are paper thin hence why I like having summit stainless on the bottom to really beef them up.
summit stainless - You added this also? I going to stop hanging out here. It costs ts a fortune.:cool:

Last edited:
Glad to hear your snow socks worked. I’ve carried mine for 3 years wondering....

when can you wash your undercarriage? It’s good practice. You might want to inspect your coach for rust in the spring /summer. I just spent a few days in January correcting my past sins of winter driving and beach camping.

Attachments

• 2EEB4F2F-30D8-47E7-8756-2847079C162C.jpeg
    2EEB4F2F-30D8-47E7-8756-2847079C162C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
Thanks for testing this stuff out for us (y)
My wife said "we should get those socks", I told her we are not going close to a place we'll need them. Hope that remains true ;)

Made it to Vegas, final leg tomorrow to Casa Grande. I should have just flown to Yakima! This is painful!

Made it to Vegas, final leg tomorrow to Casa Grande. I should have just flown to Yakima! This is painful!
Good job, Elli! I know it took some serious work, but you’ve finally got “Dad” headed in the right direction. A good co-pilot is worth their weight in gold...or, doggie treats. :ROFLMAO:

TJ

Truly glad you made it safely today. We’ve been thinking about you all day and hoping that you wouldn’t hit a lot of snow. From looking at the weather forecasts along your route (I presume you stayed on I-15 all the way), it looked like you were running about a day ahead of some ugly weather. Still snowing here in Western Washington, though it is supposed to taper off tonite and turn to rain. We’ve never been so happy with a weather forecast of rain as we are with this one. Temperatures in the teens with winds running 30-45 mph over six days will do that to a person. ?

TJ

Thanks! Yes, I took I-15 all the way. This entire trip was good then bad then good. As I went up in elevation heading south the snow started again, here we go again, then got through that area (6000+ ft elevation) then the long downhill to Vegas. Everytime I think I'm through the yuck it would reappear. Glad that's behind me. Now I have to think about what my plans will be in May when I need to be back up there. I may just go home after Casa Grande and fly to Yakima as it's a short visit (2 days). I had hoped to go there then head east across your stomping grounds and then make my way back to VA. I'm going to have to do some soul searching to figure out my plans ahead. The good news is that if I went north again it would be 6 weeks to venture up (not four days) then take 4-6 weeks to get back to VA. I'm already over 5K miles into this venture 6 weeks into the trip.

Thanks! Yes, I took I-15 all the way. This entire trip was good then bad then good. As I went up in elevation heading south the snow started again, here we go again, then got through that area (6000+ ft elevation) then the long downhill to Vegas. Everytime I think I'm through the yuck it would reappear. Glad that's behind me. Now I have to think about what my plans will be in May when I need to be back up there. I may just go home after Casa Grande and fly to Yakima as it's a short visit (2 days). I had hoped to go there then head east across your stomping grounds and then make my way back to VA. I'm going to have to do some soul searching to figure out my plans ahead. The good news is that if I went north again it would be 6 weeks to venture up (not four days) then take 4-6 weeks to get back to VA. I'm already over 5K miles into this venture 6 weeks into the trip.
In May, the weather will be far better; you’ll probably need AC in Yakima. February tends to be one of our more unpredictable months here in Washington, then things improve significantly in March and April.

We routinely travel from Western Washington to Montana in mid-to late April and the only place that we really watch is Lookout Pass (4,700’) on I-90 at the Idaho/Montana border. It is rare to have a snow event even there after the end of April.

You should be fine in May. Hope you do get a chance to swing by Polson for a few days.

TJ & LadyDi

Latest resources

Back