• Commercial/Vendors welcome

To go where no RV'er has gone before

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Hmmm! You have confirmed my policy of wi9nterizeing and not moving til spring. I got caught once in snow in a class C, in April after I thought it was safe. That was only for maybe an hour, at night, but it was not fun. No snow socks, tires or anything. Very scary. I cannot imagine what it feels like to slide in a class A.

Interesting read, as I am sitting here in central Oregon with a bunch of snow on the ground and 9 degrees. I was pondering the need to consider buying chains for my MH and ran across snow socks as an alternative. As they have been around a while, you do not hear very much about them, so was glad to read yor report on them. Based on your comments, it appears you are very satisfied and would recommend them as a viable substitute for chains? And, after using them for a bit, how are they holding up? At $200 a set, hate to have them only last a few uses.
Conventional tire chains don’t last all that long either. When a cross-link wears through or breaks, it can cause a lot of damage to everything from bodywork to brake lines. Just something else to consider.

TJ

Well, I figured this community depended on me to test the AutoSocks so I decided to leave Meridian KOA with 6+ inches of snow. How else would one really put this to the test?? I'm happy to report it worked well, no issues at all. I arrived Salt Lake around 6 PM and it was another tense drive, crazy conditions on and off but I made it. I'm not sure things were really going to improve, either drive it now or later and later may be ice on top of the snow.

And, after using them for a bit, how are they holding up?
If you use them as they outline they'll hold up fine. Use them when on ice or snow and only that. Today I was paranoid so I left them on a bit and I also went up to about 45 mph. After taking them off yesterday I did see some separation of the webbing which concerned me. Today it was much worse. I'll send a pic to AutoSock to see what they say but I don't think these are going to last long when on pavement.

I forgot you are a pilot - nerves of steel. That s’plains it.

I’d say you got every bit of your $226 worth of value (cost of a set of Autosocks) getting through those conditions safely! I’ve had cable chains break (on a car) as a result of driving about 60 miles on mixed snow/ice and bare, wet pavement. And, they are much harder to install/remove.

We don’t drive in snow/ice conditions if we can possibly avoid it. If we ever get caught in that situation and can’t avoid driving, I would consider any set of tire chains (cable, link or fabric) as a throwaway at the end of the trip. If I got a second trip out of a set, it would be a nice bonus. YMMV

Glad you made it safely to SLC. Keep up the good work, Elli; you’ve got him headed in the right direction...finally. You deserve a couple of extra doggie treats!

TJ

I forgot you are a pilot - nerves of steel. That s’plains it.
Yep, that’s our own “Captain Kirk” (aka @Neal) and the the “Starship VentEssex” going “Where no RVer has gone before” and doing it in the opposite season from the rest of us. ?

Elli, maybe this will work; one woof for “south,” two woofs for “north” and a sustained growl for “you’re going the wrong way, Dad.”

TJ

As to chains lasting, one thing about the route yesterday was the highway landmines. Quite a few chains separated from truck tires and that makes for some sporty obstacles in slippery conditions. I learned my lesson once on hitting road trash, do all you can to avoid it. Basement doors are paper thin hence why I like having summit stainless on the bottom to really beef them up.

I can't imagine how boring Florida must be.
Let me me tell you friend, it’s a real doozy. Earlier this week, we went swimming in these crystal clear springs in 80-degree weather. Spent the whole day fooling around, kayaking, paddle boarding, swimming and picnicking. I couldn’t wait for it to end.

then, to make matters worse. Today I got to the hot tub with cold beer in my RVForums can insulator thingy, sat there with nothing to do but drink and take in some sunshine while watching the kids splash in the pool.

glad you’re safe. Next mod, heated slide toppers.

Good grief @Neal , I sure hope your Yakima business meeting netted you a pushers worth of $’s.

Latest resources

Back