• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Tp

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I had to say something. I have a camera specifically used for looking inside three and four inch pipes. I am a more specific about what goes down the sewer.
  • No flushable wipes
  • No Q tips
  • No paper towels
  • No napkins
  • No coffee grindings
  • No coffee filters
  • No food scraps (see below)
  • No dirty underwear
  • No drugs
  • No sinus tissue
There is more, These are some of what I have seen in sewer pipes. The best way to put it is, what can go into the sewer or holding tank.

Water from bathing or washing is permitted. Scott or any TOILET tissue passing the break down test above. Food can go into the toilet, but it must have been eaten before depositing it.

Your holding tanks are dumped into our sanitary system. Same rules apply.

I have pushed my "Sewer Camera" almost 10 miles. Making "dirty movies" is my business. Some movies are pretty crappy. Most of my videos do NOT have "Halmark" ending.

Last edited:
We use the same as we use at home. I'm also in the no-chemical camp. All you're doing is perfuming up the holding tanks and I always chuckle when I read or see people adding enzyme products to their holding tank. Folks, its a holding tank not a septic tank. Water, water, and more water are the secret to the success of holding tanks, especially the black tank.

And at home, we do have a septic system. Just grey water and black water into the septic system. No food and no grease or heavy detergents go into the septic system.

Bob
Years ago I had a mom and pop resort in Arkansas that had 4 septic systems ! What a nightmare the resort was in the Ozark mountains all rock so you can imagine

I had to say something. I have a camera specifically used for looking inside three and four inch pipes. I am a more specific about what goes down the sewer.
  • No flushable wipes
  • No Q tips
  • No paper towels
  • No napkins
  • No coffee grindings
  • No coffee filters
  • No food scraps (see below)
  • No dirty underwear
  • No drugs
  • No sinus tissue
There is more, These are some of what I have seen in sewer pipes. The best way to put it is, what can go into the sewer or holding tank.

Water from bathing or washing is permitted. Scott or any TOILET tissue passing the break down test above. Food can go into the toilet, but it must have been eaten before depositing it.

Your holding tanks are dumped into our sanitary system. Same rules apply.

I have pushed my "Sewer Camera" almost 10 miles. Making "dirty movies" is my business. Some movies are pretty crappy. Most videos do NOT have "Halmark" ending.
Hahahahahahaha very good!

It makes no difference if the TP used is septic safe or not. Use any TP you choose.
You do not have a septic tank in your rv, it is a holding tank.
95% of campgrounds are on septic systems. While you say you may not need it in your coach, it is beneficial to keeping the campground septic systems working, therefore keeping costs down.

95% of campgrounds are on septic systems. While you say you may not need it in your coach, it is beneficial to keeping the campground septic systems working, therefore keeping costs down.
All the more reasons to not flush all chemicals into their septic system. We also have a septic system, and in 25+ years we've never added any chemicals to it.

OK!
I'll bite!

History first. On the boat I learned tp was a bad thing! Mine goes in the bathroom trash, end of story!

When I used the RV system, I used pinesol. Then they started using more perfume and for someone with allergies, perfume and small places don't work!!! So I quit using anything, and that worked fairly well, but it's a toss up in the stink department (poison vs. biogass!!!)

Final solution is the totally stink free composting toilet. ( and no not the overly expensive commercial type). A simple sawdust toilet. Haven't had to visit a dump station in over a year!!! No odors in the house!!! The fancy stuff is pretty, but not practical.

We use the same as we use at home. I'm also in the no-chemical camp. All you're doing is perfuming up the holding tanks and I always chuckle when I read or see people adding enzyme products to their holding tank. Folks, its a holding tank not a septic tank. Water, water, and more water are the secret to the success of holding tanks, especially the black tank.
I can't imagine using the toilet when a nearly full 40 gallon holding tank has no deodorizer. NO THANKS!

plumbing-sewer-blog.jpg

I don't think anything can deodorize 40 gals of "stuff". What your deodorizer is...is water in your p-traps just like in a house that prevents sewer smells from coming through plumbing. If you keep water in the toilets and run water in your sinks often so the p-traps can't dry out then you should not have any odors. If you do then you likely have a leak somewhere.

Latest resources

Back