Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Transition From RV to Park Model?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

FL-JOE

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
This will be our 3rd winter in the same CG in Florida. Between last spring and now there have been four RV couples we know that have sold their RVs and purchased park models here. Three of the couples were retired part time RVers and one couple were full time traveling RVers. Just wondering if this is a normal transition for many couples or it has something to do with the elevated prices of used RVs?

What is the difference in a park model and a condo? In other words, what draws people to buy tiny homes in campgrounds vs. possibly money better spent in other communities, or is it, maybe money is better spent in campground communities. Another scenario, buying a lot in Pelican Lakes in Naples, FL which probably costs the same or more than a condo in Naples, FL.

If you find yourself being stationary more and more maybe a Park Model is better for this phase in your life?

When hurricane Charlie came through FL I didn't have any idea of the number of "Trailer Parks (over 55)" in the path that Charlie took. It was incredible the number of parks I saw because of the blue tarps. I helped my neighbor go down south and repair a friend of his, mobile home (MH). I think this was a MH from the 50s and it was made out of 2x2s - crazy.
FL is covered with mobile home parks with this kind of constructed homes. Yes, the new "manufactured homes" are actually built better (exterior walls are 2x6) than most stick built homes but these old MH are a joke.

Last edited:
We looked at quite a few "park models" that my daughter was interested in. Seemed to me that you can look at them as best of both worlds or worst of both worlds. Mine was the later. She eventually settled on something she can travel with. Or outrun the storm:oops:

I envision DW and I moving into a single story condo when we're done with our full time experience. Have zero interest in moving into a home again.

I envision DW and I moving into a single story condo when we're done with our full time experience. Have zero interest in moving into a home again.
It depends on many factors. We are very fortunate in that we live in an area with great weather, never too hot or too cold and our home is single level. We can park our Dutch Star in our backyard, plugged in and ready to travel at a moments notice to any destination. Absolutely no reason to move from our home but we also use the rv 4+ months of the year and have no plans for giving up that great experience.
Maybe this post doesn’t fit into the OP’s original thoughts. Sorry.

Park models have no tanks. Otherwise they are large, heavy, travel trailers.

They generally have Floorplans designed for residential usage, and less rv feel.

They do not have water pumps, but do have roof air and furnace heat the same as a trailer.

Latest resources

Back