RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Heartland
RV Model
North Country
RV Length
Hi,

I have a question regarding the weight capacity on my tow vehicle. I have a 2012 Toyota long bed, 5.7ltr engine with a 4.3 rear end. The truck manual lists a 16000 GCWR, 10,100 lbs trailer towing weight, GVWR of 7000lbs and the max payload is 1475 lbs. The TT has a listed GVWR of 9000lbs and a dry weight of 6267 lbs. Before i went camping for the first time with this TT I went to a truck scale and had my loaded trailer weighted and it came in at just about 700Olbs. I did not worry about pulling it then as I had a larger capacity truck available for towing. That truck is no longer available and I am wondering whether i will be able to pull my TT safely with my Toyota. I am looking for anyones advice or comments on my situation and whether I need to consider purchasing a new truck to pull this TT.

When you weighed the trailer with equipment is that axle weight or did you disconnect the trailer and weigh the trailer? You should have about 570 lbs payload capacity on the truck if you have 10% of trailer weight on the tong at 9000 lbs. Payload includes people, gas and other supplies.
At 7000lbs you are at 70% truck capacity, well withing the trucks ability. You need to weigh the rig, truck and trailer loaded to see how your gcvw adds up before you know that you have the capacity for the job. but If the numbers look as good as the trailer weight loaded It should be ok.

I disconnected the trailer from tow vehicle before weighing. I am not so concerned about exceeding or being close to the truck trailer towing weight as I am about the truck max payload. I am told it includes all of the passengers, items loaded in truck and the the tongue weight that the trailer puts on the truck hitch. I usually carry a Honda generator which I believe weights about 200 lbs and three passengers in the truck which will put me near or exceed the max payload. If I put the generator on back or in the trailer when towing will it help the situation. In regards to the 10% estimated tongue weight can I use the actual loaded trailer weight (assuming I do not exceed it) to estimate it or do I need to use the trailer 9000 lbs GVWR? Given the situation I was thinking of purchasing a tongue weight scale to be able to get an exact tongue weight of the loaded trailer. Is this a good idea and worth the purchase price?

The neet thing about towing a trailer is you can move things to the trailer to keep payload where it should be. Don't move to the back of the trailer unless you account for the tung weight. I don't like the idea of mounting anything to the back of the trailer. It changes wind dynamics.

You can use a bathroom scale to weigh the tung by using a beam. 3 to 1 would work with a bathroom scale. look it up on the net I am sure you will find something. If you can't find an example then I will try to make a drawing. big pain without cad drawing software.

Thanks for your advice it iis very helpfull. I found a procedure on the internet for using a bathroom scale to measure to tongue weight

This might help you. Just poke your numbers in the spreadsheet for your truck and trailer.

Attachments

• TOWING CALCULATOR 2021 RAM1500 4X4 (1).xlsx
    104.5 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for your advice it iis very helpfull. I found a procedure on the internet for using a bathroom scale to measure to tongue weight
Same process can be used for all tires and tongue.

Latest resources

Back