Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Trick to fill DEF tank from drivers side?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
Today I filled up my DEF tank for the first time using a pump at a truck stop. I have been buying the boxes of DEF at the parts house but its such a PITA. I used the driver's side fuel fill for the fuel but the DEF port quickly backed up and would not take any volume of DEF. I had to maneuver the coach to the other side of the pump island to fill the tank directly. Has anyone had this issue and had any luck correcting it?
Thanks

I'll try that, I remember the fellow that did our orientation say that filling from that side was not optimal and looking at the level the filler vs the top of the tank I see where it is a flawed design.

What model coach do you have? I always fill my Mountain Aire from the driver side — probably 99% of the time because of the way truckstops are and haven’t really had that problem. Sounds like there could be a blockage as Neil suggested. Sometimes I have to get the DEF nozzle in just right because some of them are really sensitive, but having had a previous coach with the deaf fill only on the passenger side, I can assure you it’s a nightmare I got yelled at more than a few times at truckstops for going in the wrong way, or using the DEF from the next lane over

Last edited:
Today I filled up my DEF tank for the first time using a pump at a truck stop. I have been buying the boxes of DEF at the parts house but its such a PITA. I used the driver's side fuel fill for the fuel but the DEF port quickly backed up and would not take any volume of DEF. I had to maneuver the coach to the other side of the pump island to fill the tank directly. Has anyone had this issue and had any luck correcting it?
Thanks
@Rustymayes ... same experience for me. I tried it once and have not used it since.

FLSteve(y)

I use the, "Fill an empty jug and pour it in at the campground method". I like the translucent containers because it is easy to monitor filling it up. At the campground I used a float meter to check the DEF before adding it. This method takes about 1 beer to administer. Your operating instructions may vary. 🥴

I use the, "Fill an empty jug and pour it in at the campground method". I like the translucent containers because it is easy to monitor filling it up. At the campground I used a float meter to check the DEF before adding it. This method takes about 1 beer to administer. Your operating instructions may vary. 🥴
I have the same results as long as its not the first one…

Wow.... Outside of filling with 2.5 gal jugs last summer while in Canada, it's always filled via the drivers side w/o any issues.
Maybe scope it per Neal's suggestion?

Thanks
I have the same problem. Took about 10 gallons and that was it. Have to fill it from the passenger side with boxes.

Almost sounds like the filler tube is drooping causing fluid to pool in a low spot. the pooling will allow the fluid to back up. Once fluid hits the filler Gun device it will stopp the flow.
Just a wild guess on my part.

Latest resources

Back