Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Audio

RVF Regular
So I've been pondering the idea of going south for the winter. Doesn't matter where long as my lines won't freeze. I'm nervous about traffic and was wondering if someone could show me a route somewhere south with places to crash along the way? Some possible way to avoid big city's and many roundabouts as possible. I'll be leaving from Manistique in Upper Michigan. Looking to stay somewhere from mid November to April. Anything free works for me I'll have a generator and my own water supply. I'm completely new to this and haven't gone more than a couple hours from home with my 30ft rig. So if you can help or draw a map sorta thing that be great to check out.

I would suggest trying rv trip wizard and plotting your own route. You know what your comfort level is. Most major cities typically have roads around the perimeter of man area so you will see that in your trip planning. Finding a free spot will take some work as most even free have time limits. But they do exist. You can also try iOverlander as an app which can help you zero in an a location that might be free at least overnight or a few days. good luck!

My suggestion is decide where first and make your reservation. From what I know places fill up quick. Once you know where you are going, fill in the stops alone the way. Good luck

So I've been pondering the idea of going south for the winter. Doesn't matter where long as my lines won't freeze. I'm nervous about traffic and was wondering if someone could show me a route somewhere south with places to crash along the way? Some possible way to avoid big city's and many roundabouts as possible. I'll be leaving from Manistique in Upper Michigan. Looking to stay somewhere from mid November to April. Anything free works for me I'll have a generator and my own water supply. I'm completely new to this and haven't gone more than a couple hours from home with my 30ft rig. So if you can help or draw a map sorta thing that be great to check out.
In order to determine how you will get to your destination you first need a destination. I doubt if you will find much, if any, long term FREE CAMPING east of the Mississippi and north of I 10. Here is a Free Camping app that includes a trip planner. I have never used it thus can not comment on it's accuracy or user friendliness. Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free!

If you have never travelled with your rig very far, I suggest you take it easy for the first little while. Find you "traveling" comfort zone. Some of us only travel a few hours per day. Others have no problem driving all day long. Don't push yourself. Make sure you and your rig are safe on the road. Don't endanger your self or others.

I'm betting you will choose the desert mostly for the economic and availability aspects even though it may cost a few dollars more to get there. If that is the case, plan to head to Quartzsite. I suggest you spend a little bit of time with Keven if he is still willing to "show you the ropes:" You can then head out on your own with a better knowledge base.

Good luck and safe travels.

Darrell

Free might be a bit more difficult to find but you could possibly find someone willing to barter for services. Will you be working (online or otherwise) when you're set up and not going to be moving for a while? What are you good at? What can you do, what do you want to do. A tenant farmer type of situation could work but would still be physice in some capacity, I suspect you have an idea of how hard you would want to work if such an exchange would be available.

The adventure sounds like fun but something I can only dream of with several young kids and a wife who has to be heavily coerced into even glamping.

Latest resources

Back