Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Ugh!! No more Spartan chassis for 2023!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Just been informed that Spartan chassis are sold out for 2023. Either change chassis brand or wait till 2024.
we think we’ll wait for 2024. Production starts first week of August so not too much delay.
we might miss the Balloon festival 😕

Is Spartan really that much better than Freightliner?

At this point we are not going compromise 😎
We are going to get exactly what we want, the delay will only be a few weeks. And instead of getting a year “old “ new coach, we will get to enjoy an early model year coach.

Is Spartan really that much better than Freightliner?
I dont recall all the differences that appealed to me when I was shopping for a new coach, but here are a few:

Maintenance bay - filters easily accessed
Passive steer to 45mph rather than FL @ 15
Traction control (and other safety features optional on FL)
Traditional shift pad rather than shift on the column
All wheel disc brakes
Better warranty (don’t recall the details but it was worth noting)
Air connection for toad brakes
3 stage Jake (also on some FL chassis but not New Aire)
Automatic suspension control (I paid $10k for Active Air)
Suspended adjustable pedals

I’m sure there was more but that was enough for me and far more value than the $5000 up-charge (actually closer to $3500 because at the time you could still make a 71% deal). Ended up buying a used Ventana on a FL chassis (and added active air) and I’m perfectly satisfied, but if I were buying a new coach, especially 40’ or more, most of the above would make a difference to me.

I dont recall all the differences that appealed to me when I was shopping for a new coach, but here are a few:

Maintenance bay - filters easily accessed
Passive steer to 45mph rather than FL @ 15
Traction control (and other safety features optional on FL)
Traditional shift pad rather than shift on the column
All wheel disc brakes
Better warranty (don’t recall the details but it was worth noting)
Air connection for toad brakes
3 stage Jake (also on some FL chassis but not New Aire)
Automatic suspension control (I paid $10k for Active Air)
Suspended adjustable pedals

I’m sure there was more but that was enough for me and far more value than the $5000 up-charge (actually closer to $3500 because at the time you could still make a 71% deal). Ended up buying a used Ventana on a FL chassis (and added active air) and I’m perfectly satisfied, but if I were buying a new coach, especially 40’ or more, most of the above would make a difference to me.

Most of these are no longer different between FL and SPTN on a Dutch Star (that Joe is looking for).

Just an observation, Spartan chassis is standard on King Air, London Air, Mountain Air, optional on the Dutch Star and Vantana. It is reported by many that the ride is better with the Spartan. yes Frightliner was forced to catch up to remain competitive. Many features are similar between them.

Just an observation, Spartan chassis is standard on King Air, London Air, Mountain Air, optional on the Dutch Star and Vantana. It is reported by many that the ride is better with the Spartan. yes Frightliner was forced to catch up to remain competitive. Many features are similar between them.
Yes my material (from memory) is a couple (a few actually) years out of date. One thing Im sure FL doesnt have is the old style shift pad, although people have reported that they adapted to the new style just fine and Spartan may have gone to paddles by now. Also I really like the maintenance bay, but these are not enough alone to justify the up-charge. I’d have to look at specs side by side like I did in 2018 and ’19 to make the decision, but at this point will probably never be faced with that prospect.

To put my comments in context, I spent an exorbitant amount to get my last coach, Canyon Star, to ride and handle in an acceptable manner. The reason we are going with the Dutch Star is to NOT have to spend on aftermarket extras to get it to have an acceptable ride. Consequently if the Spartan chassis is good enough for a Mountain Air, King Air, it should be the best I can get.
I am not here to talk down anyone’s choices, my priorities maybe different than yours.

Spartan would be a much more stable platform. However, If you drove the 2, side by side and you didn't otice a difference, then don't worry about it..

Freightliner has way too many recalls. Its a feature and not a bug. Hence, the reason for having a consent order hanging on their necks from NHTSA. (spartan is not without faults). However, most people don't seem to mind that. Its a choice. 2016-17 freightliner tag axles were defective (out of center) and can not be centered/aligned. Yet most people didn't seem to notice that either. Latest one just showed up on irv2 with a 2016 MADP (26k mi). If folks can not notice an out of alignment tag axle, then the chassis characteristics are not that important. Ofcourse, in this case, part of the blame is on comfort drive, as CD will mask misalignment pulls on steering just like a cross wind. Hence, one reason most people have difficulty noticing such differences.

Joe, this is typical of Newmar to run out of chassis this time of year, for their planned production thru June. If they are on the same schedule. Which sounds like it. Just one pointer, if you are not in a rush, give the new order another month or so. Just like you, I ordered about the same time and they ran out of 2016s. So I orderd one of the very early 2017s. Too many problems. give production people time to adjust to their new re-tooling for the new year model production and sort out at least some of their production bugs, rather you sorting it out!

I had the spartan on my order. however, only changed it because I have a freighliner dealer whom I have known for over 20 yrs. I drive my coach to their service bay, I stay with the coach while they work on it, and I have the same tech always work on my coach over the years. Knowing I had a 100% reliable service shop, I chose the wrong chassis. it happens! btw, all my previous DPs were on freightliner, because of a very dependable, reliable and competent service shop.

Unless you have seen, up close and personal, the monkey work some of these shops do, you can not appreciate the value of the quality serivce shop. I know the service manager, the shop foreman, etc.. all I do is email the SM, i get a price quote and schedule. rest, I just show up and stay in the coach, unless there is an issue to diagnose, then I work one on one with the tech. when done, I just leave, whenever, they get the service ro done, they email it and its gets paid right away.

Some of you with freightliner chassis have likely experinced the tail lights/pdm issue. that problem I worked with my freightliner shop in 2017 thru 2018 where finally forced freightliner, with newmar help to issue the first recall thru NHTSA. Yet, it took them 5 years, till I wrote a letter to NHTSA admins in feb 2022, which helped tighten the noose around their neck to issue the third recall, which seems to have finally resolved the safety defect. Thats one of the main problems with freightliner mind set. they know most of their customers do not notice such issues, or simply don't care.. so freightliner tends to ignore their defective problems.

Since many of the builds are purchased by dealers without an end customer it would seem that you could find a dealer that has one purchased and buy that slot and have it built to your specs.

Latest resources

Back