Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Ugh!! No more Spartan chassis for 2023!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Just been informed that Spartan chassis are sold out for 2023. Either change chassis brand or wait till 2024.
we think we’ll wait for 2024. Production starts first week of August so not too much delay.
we might miss the Balloon festival 😕
Well probably just as well. Don't want to risk being shot down. I know you are watching Neal. It was just to easy. Couldn't resist. Sorry in advance.

Well probably just as well. Don't want to risk being shot down. I know you are watching Neal. Sorry in advance.
I had a few folks from RVF stop by to pay me a visit.

Breaking Free Big Cat GIF by Barstool Sports

Well this is a subject that I have had very strong opinions on, for those that know me from the past I was a Spartan advocate. My 2018 DS was on a Spartan. (Note in 2018 there was no difference in price for SP or FL)
I now own a 2023 DS on a Freightliner.
I have read some statements on this thread that no longer apply in 2023
The 23 FL now has a 5 year warranty
The FL now comes with Air Force One installed on MH

Some of the benefits I believe FL has over Spartan is the column shift that also controls the engine braking, no more taking your eyes of the road to operate. Some don’t like the column shifter, I find it much better
The FL is $8,400 less money ( ok $ 6,300 after discounts) still a bunch of money
The FL has way more service centers available

At the end of the day everyone should get what they want, for me the FL drives the same as my SP and now is a much better value. It’s not that I’m against the Spartan and at the same price I would have probably went SP just because I was familiar with it and still have a Spartan Jacket :) . They are both great chassis’s and have the same engine and transmission.
Hope to see you on the road, Stuart

I forgot to mention Both the SP and FL have rear drum brakes on the drive and tag axle

well here are the actual tag axle differences from SP to FL
SP does steer until 45 MPH
FL steers up to 20MPh
FL states that their design gives 20% tighter turning angel

for you that don’t know me from the past I’m not arguing. Just making sure that other shoppers have the Facts to make a informed purchase

Attachments

• B8FADA06-0821-48F3-8B3B-7F5F4CAF0EBF.jpeg
    B8FADA06-0821-48F3-8B3B-7F5F4CAF0EBF.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8
...... (Note in 2018 there was no difference in price for SP or FL) ......SP does steer until 45 MPH

Just to add; fyi

SP tag steer on accelaration is from 0-45mph, however on deceleration is from 25mph-0.

2017 and 2018 Newmars on Sp and FL had the same chassis price.. IMO, that was likely due to all the tag axle problems FL had for 2016 and 2017 units with the passive tag. Spartan steer tag version had issue with their introduction in 2014 and 2015, which was recalled. FL had their problem with their intro in 16 & 17, which for what ever reason was not recalled. IMO matt miller had been planning to sell newmar and didn't want to rock the boat. so they dropped the SP upgrade fee just in case. as it turns out, most RV people seem to be oblivious to such issues and various problems in general.

Regardless, personal choices are personal choices. However, the tribalism is not productive. When there is a problem regardless of the manufacturer, you have to call them out. Including Newmar, otherwise, it comes at all of our collective costs.

I owned a 2017 Newmar Ventana on a Frieghtliner Chassis. I wish I had not sold that motorhome as it handled great and only had a few problems from the time it was new. I noticed a problem with the chassis and called Frieghtliner. They got me in and handled the problem the same day!

Fast forward I just purchased a 2022 Dutch Star 4081 on a Spartan Chassis off the lot in Florida. I can tell you that the support is not as good at Spartan as Frieghtliner, had a difficult time finding a shop in the area I was in and had to drive over 300 miles to get to a shop that could address the issue. Issue is still not resolved. Im not impressed so far with the additional cost of the Spartan over Frieghtliner and I should notice a difference as the Dutch Star has independent suspension.

I got the right deal on this unit, but I would prefer the Frieghtliner which has more shops for maintenance and repair, and now with the additional cost of the Spartan I just don't see it.

With all that said, I am not a mechanic or an RV expert, just the average retired guy with toys.

I've not seen the 23's so if this has changed please chime in. One thing Spartan does that is really nice is they put the air system condensation filter in the service bay. Freightliner has it mounted on the frame rail by the tag & drive axels & it's a real pain to get to & change.

I've not seen the 23's so if this has changed please chime in. One thing Spartan does that is really nice is they put the air system condensation filter in the service bay. Freightliner has it mounted on the frame rail by the tag & drive axels & it's a real pain to get to & change.
Although the Spartan information shows the side mounted filters, the Newmar configuration is not this way. The filters are mounted in the back behind the engine similar to FL

From the Newmar spec sheet the upcharge for Spartan for '23 in the longer coaches does get you 1000lb higher weight limit on the front axle and 950lb more NCC for the coach because of that extra axle capacity. On the 43' FL the front axle is 19k, the Spartan is 20k. For some folks who run heavy that alone may be worth the upgrade.

We were going to order a FL in '19 but our dealer had no more slots left for FL and knocked off almost all of the upcharge for the Spartan to book the sale that day. We've been happy with the service (local Spartan shop specializing in EMS vehicles is 30miles away) except for the DEF head issue which affected a lot of folks who weren't traveling enough in '20. The only Spartan complaint I really have is that we had to upgrade the shocks because every bridge transition felt like we were going to slingshot into the air. Replaced the shocks at 6mo and it's been great ever since.

- Richard

Latest resources

Back