Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Ugh!! No more Spartan chassis for 2023!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
From the Newmar spec sheet the upcharge for Spartan for '23 in the longer coaches does get you 1000lb higher weight limit on the front axle and 950lb more NCC for the coach because of that extra axle capacity. On the 43' FL the front axle is 19k, the Spartan is 20k. For some folks who run heavy that alone may be worth the upgrade.

We were going to order a FL in '19 but our dealer had no more slots left for FL and knocked off almost all of the upcharge for the Spartan to book the sale that day. We've been happy with the service (local Spartan shop specializing in EMS vehicles is 30miles away) except for the DEF head issue which affected a lot of folks who weren't traveling enough in '20. The only Spartan complaint I really have is that we had to upgrade the shocks because every bridge transition felt like we were going to slingshot into the air. Replaced the shocks at 6mo and it's been great ever since.

- Richard
Curious about what shocks you chose

The only Spartan complaint I really have is that we had to upgrade the shocks because every bridge transition felt like we were going to slingshot into the air. Replaced the shocks at 6mo and it's been great ever since.

- Richard
Ditto on being curious about the shocks. NIRVC has quoted me some replacement Konis, but I haven't researched myself to make sure they will fit. Previously, I reached out to Spartan and Koni, and they both said there wasn't a Koni option for my '19 Spartan Ventana. I would really like to get shocks upgraded.

At my first service I had the local Spartan shop replace the stock shocks w/ Koni's. My electronic receipt doesn't show a part number, I'll look for the paperwork in the cabinet later to see if it is listed on that. I have noticed over the years on multiple forums folks saying that Koni doesn't have a direct replacement which does give me a little bit of pause - but I've had no issues in the last 15,000 miles since I had them replaced and the ride is enough improved even my wife who doesn't drive agrees it is better.

Last year we drove from Maryland to the Grand Canyon and back on I40 and I10 and the RV handled as well as I'd expect from a solid front axle coach w/ the potholes you find on our roads these days. We had 0 instances of cabinets opening up and nothing shook loose in 6,000 miles on that trip.

On one our last trips of '19 (1st camping season w/ the Ventana) with the stock shocks we hit a bridge transition going around Richmond VA that started the front end porpoising wildly to where I was briefly concerned I didn't have control. Up until that point I'd put up with the random opening of the front overhead cabinets and exaggerated bouncing thinking "one day I'll look into new shocks". But that feeling of being on the edge of control pushed me past the "one day" into "next service".

I understand Newmar is trying to hit a price point and I respect that for the base price. But I really do wish they would offer upgrades on a few things - please take my $ on better shocks, headlights, an outside lock for the emergency door in case the front door mechanism fails, etc.

- Richard

Looked up the paper copy of the order and it appears they put on Koni Evo 99-B3254 shocks. I did a quick search and of course like most of you said the fitment tables don't show a match to the '19 K2 with a beam axle. At this point I'm curious what the difference is between the dimensions of the OEM Bilstein shocks and the Konis since my ride is greatly improved with these shocks that aren't listed to fit.

Thanks in advance

- Richard

I really-really love the FL DriveTech System (dash, steering wheel and column controls). I've spoken to lots of FL owners that would get another. That includes me....

Latest resources

Back