Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jbirge

RVF Newbee
We bought our 2022 Primetime Sanibel 3102ESWB in July. It was a used unit but hadn't been used more than a few times. Still looked and smelled brand new. A week ago I was up on the roof and noticed a spot on the roof that looked like it got hot and disfigured the membrane. I have been up on the roof numerous times and that spot wasn't there the last time I was up there a month or so ago. I have no idea what the cause is, or how to go about addressing it. The roof is in new condition, so I haven't washed it or done anything to cause the spot. Seems like a possible manufacturer defect to me. Thoughts?
IMG_0631.jpg
IMG_0630.jpg

Many chemicals are not compatible with rubber roofing. That possible spill location aside, have you smelled anything that indicated something getting hot?

Many chemicals are not compatible with rubber roofing. That possible spill location aside, have you smelled anything that indicated something getting hot?
I haven’t put any chemicals on the roof. And there’s been no hot smells that Ive noticed.

I haven’t put any chemicals on the roof. And there’s been no hot smells that Ive noticed.
Then more than likely it was overlooked in the past

Well, it definitely was not overlooked in the past. I've only had the camper for four months, and it was only a year old then. When I climb the ladder it is right in front of me. I'd have to be blind not to see it. The issue appeared sometime after the beginning of October.

It is not unheard of that there are defects in a new roof. But yours is not new. What is under it inside?

Well, it definitely was not overlooked in the past. I've only had the camper for four months, and it was only a year old then. When I climb the ladder it is right in front of me. I'd have to be blind not to see it. The issue appeared sometime after the beginning of October.
Ok! Maybe it was a DEW attack 😲

My only answer is something got it hot, or chemical spill, and due to the discoloration I thought chemical. However you have not smelled anything hot, so is there a mirror or reflector that may hit the roof where parked? We can only make suggestions, we have no idea the conditions of your environment, where you parked it or any other condition.

Actually Kevin, that is not a bad suggestion. I have seen vinyl siding melted here in the South. It occurs when someone uses low e windows designed for up north. The coating is on opposite sides depending on location. I don't know what they do in the middle.....But it is a known thing. A high window above the RV could reflect down at just the right time of day and sun angle. Ordinarily the siding melts in a diagonal pattern which reflects the movement of the sun in relation to the window.

Actually Kevin, that is not a bad suggestion. I have seen vinyl siding melted here in the South. It occurs when someone uses low e windows designed for up north. The coating is on opposite sides depending on location. I don't know what they do in the middle.....But it is a known thing. A high window above the RV could reflect down at just the right time of day and sun angle. Ordinarily the siding melts in a diagonal pattern which reflects the movement of the sun in relation to the window.
When I was researching solar cookers I found that some parabolic cookers burned down some dwellings in third world countries. That lead to other technologies, as the people saw first hand how dangerous concentrated sunlight can be!!!

Cryptic? Yes, but I learned slowly, and that is how many people accept my suggestions (slowly).

Latest resources

Back