• Commercial/Vendors welcome

MOD Upgrading my Pepwave RV Internet setup

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I did go with CAT18, and the antenna you pointed me to looks like exactly what I'm looking for. But now your comment about separating WIFI and Cell antennas has me wondering. What is the advantage you are seeking with that change?

Pepwave doesn't have an all in one cellular/gps/wifi and quite frankly I have a panorama 5-in-1 I've been using and recently switched to using the wifi paddles indoors and leaving LTE on the roof and that has been working great. I intend to mount this unit (still up to extreme back and forth debate) in the half bath vs. my front audio compartment where all my other electronics and cellular components are. In reading the pepwave data on antennas I notice they offer one for wifi and one for cellular which I already bought. Someone made the comment above about roof mounted wifi to pickup wifi from external sources which I rarely do but that is a valid use case which has me thinking back on the roof with wifi as long as all components in the house and basement (temp monitors and solar) have no issues with connectivity.

Short version:

Paddle wifi antennas work great for transmitting wifi inside the RV.
Roof mounted wifi antennas may improve picking up campground/service center wifi (rarely used as cellular has been so good)

When I mounted my two panorama antennas (for two different routers) I asked panorama about separation and they did suggest I had them too close and they should be at least a foot apart. I just want my antennas away from any other interference items and obstruction from line of site concerns. Just keeping in mind optimal antenna placement. If I could they would go on top of the air conditioner shroud but I don't want to add extension cables and have connector and cable length signal dB loss.

I'll add, separately, that the new pepwave antennas have the best numbers I've seen of any of the antennas to date.

I did go with CAT18, and the antenna you pointed me to looks like exactly what I'm looking for. But now your comment about separating WIFI and Cell antennas has me wondering. What is the advantage you are seeking with that change?
Chris, I'm sort of new to this & Neal correct me if I'm wrong. Antenna separation is an issue when radios are 'talking' over each other. With two cellular radios in you older setup this could be a problem. Supposedly there are a few antenna manufacturers out there making 7-1 antennaes designed for units like the Max Transit Duo ( 2x12 CAT) or the Max Transit CAT-18. As I read the information, they are tuned to eliminate/minimize this issue. I purchased the Poynting 7-1 as it was the least expensive & did not require a ground plane.

I'm no antenna expert, I just try to apply common sense and hope it works. That means no obstructions to line of site in a 360 view from the cellular antenna. WiFi is of lesser concern to me. GPS you can use an antenna inside and it works fine. The paddle antennas work fine for most uses but the problem is that my FM tuner has a hard time getting signals inside the coach and has odd noise on the freqs telling me there is some serious interference and/or electrical noise in these coaches from unshielded cables, etc. So that drives me to get the cellular outside primarily. I'm going to experiment again with WiFi on the roof but as of this moment my coach uses the paddle antennas for wifi inside only. Until the day comes that we can actually use campground wifi it's of minimal value. Cellular is the winning option typically now, starlink will probably be what's next as campgrounds will not spend the money to allow us to work.

I'll say again, a setup like these pepwaves with good cellular are SAFETY devices. Not necessarily entertainment or work. With WiFi calling features we have now should you need to be contacted for an emergency or contact someone for an emergency NOT having phone service is not something I want to experience if at all possible. A good cellular setup is vital to every RV these days but cell phones are much better and continue to improve with tower expansion.

Today I finally got to the RV and setup the MAX Transit CAT 18. Never without excitement. First having to remember my AT&T Mobley SIM PIN, fortunately by the 3rd try I guessed right. Now I'll WRITE IT DOWN!!! AT&T is sucking where I am, prior setup was auto switched to Verizon at the storage lot. Then I put the "other" SIM in and wondered why I couldn't connect to Verizon, yeah, well, it was the SPRINT sim I left in the BR1 MINI. It actually connected, I should have tried to see if it got Internet. That was odd. Guess I'll need to watch for a bill now! Anyways, finally Verizon is connected. Now the tests are not equal. My speed test with the BR1 MINI attached to the roof Panorama 2-in-1 over the driver's seat was 45 down 6 up. The MAX Transit CAT 18 is sitting on my desk with rabbit ears. Speed test 100 down 63 up. Wowza!

I'm all setup. As of now both BR1 MINI and BR1 MK2 are removed. Will hold for a while and repurpose later or sell, but backup for now. I'm not really able to test old vs. new as a lot of variables have changed and even just a reboot of the same cellular modem will yield different results each time. Nothing is consistent with cellular.

I may, because I can't ever resist, get a second MAX Transit CAT 18 if I want active active with two sims but I'm going to see how things go with single modem two sim setup. $700 for the router is not a big deal when your business depends on it, and buys it.

Today I finally got to the RV and setup the MAX Transit CAT 18. Never without excitement. First having to remember my AT&T Mobley SIM PIN, fortunately by the 3rd try I guessed right. Now I'll WRITE IT DOWN!!! AT&T is sucking where I am, prior setup was auto switched to Verizon at the storage lot. Then I put the "other" SIM in and wondered why I couldn't connect to Verizon, yeah, well, it was the SPRINT sim I left in the BR1 MINI. It actually connected, I should have tried to see if it got Internet. That was odd. Guess I'll need to watch for a bill now! Anyways, finally Verizon is connected. Now the tests are not equal. My speed test with the BR1 MINI attached to the roof Panorama 2-in-1 over the driver's seat was 45 down 6 up. The MAX Transit CAT 18 is sitting on my desk with rabbit ears. Speed test 100 down 63 up. Wowza!

I'm all setup. As of now both BR1 MINI and BR1 MK2 are removed. Will hold for a while and repurpose later or sell, but backup for now. I'm not really able to test old vs. new as a lot of variables have changed and even just a reboot of the same cellular modem will yield different results each time. Nothing is consistent with cellular.

I may, because I can't ever resist, get a second MAX Transit CAT 18 if I want active active with two sims but I'm going to see how things go with single modem two sim setup. $700 for the router is not a big deal when your business depends on it, and buys it.
Exciting news on the throughput Neal! Is this with the new antenna yet? I dream of another unit also, mucho flexibility!

Exciting news on the throughput Neal! Is this with the new antenna yet? I dream of another unit also, mucho flexibility!
Antennas not on roof yet. That will be either Tuesday or Friday. Out of time for today. Paddle antennas only. Consistent 100 down with prepaid Verizon.

Neal makes my head spin!!

I just did it, ugh, I ordered a 2nd Pepwave MAX Transit CAT 18 so I can have active/active modems. The total cost is less than my new iPhone, I can't put a price tag on good internet from an RV I work from.

Latest resources

Back