• Commercial/Vendors welcome

MOD Upgrading my Pepwave RV Internet setup

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Neal I've seen a thread somewhere that you guide through setting outbound policies for your Pepwave setup. I've searched high and low. Can you direct me?
Just got my new Max Transit Duo and am excited to get it fully setup and load balancing. Thanks
Really shouldn't need any outbound policies, the one that's setup by default should suffice. I do have "persistence" policies setup for RDP and other services I use because of my active/active setup I can't have the IP address changing during a connection. You'll see the default for HTTPS persistence is created by Peplink for this very reason, you can't have a secure connection and then change providers during the session.

When setting up my new Pepwave MAX Transit CAT 18 my iPhone 12 complained about the WiFi security. The default Peplink uses for WiFi security is "WPA/WPA2 - Personal". The problem is the "WPA" (first part). That uses TKIP encryption and the better security is AES. To fix this you'll need to change this to "WPA2 - Personal".

On another note, I am amazed at the power of the Pepwave and PUMA WiFi antenna on the roof. I was at the dog park at my current location (KOA) which was over 100 yards from my coach. It was distant and behind the coach (antenna is at the front on the roof). I was getting 2 out of 3 arcs in WiFi antenna strength and the connection was solid and fast. Very pleased with the Pepwave PUMA antennas I got with my units. The 2nd pepwave has WiFi OFF, I only use it on one typically. There are scenarios where I'll connect devices to the 2nd unit so as not to interfere with my speeds on the primary unit.

With regards to the NAS issue I encountered. My problem was NAS to NAS communications for backup of the devices from home/office to RV & vice versa. The home/office NAS could not get to the network on the RV due to carrier grade NAT. Problem was resolved with PepVPN SpeedFusion. CAT-18 on RV, Peplink Balnce One in home office.
Not sure if the question was directed at me. If not, my apologies.

Correction/Improvement to the WiFi security protocol mentioned two up. I was browsing network preferences on my mac and noticed most of my WiFi passwords were saved using WPA2/WPA3 - Personal. Pepwave came defaulted to WPA (bad) and I changed to WPA2 - Personal. I have since changed again to the more secure WPA2/WPA3 - Personal setting as that seems to be the current standard.

wpa2-3.png

Back to TTL of 65 showing good results in this weird area. I'll leave it as I have been for the past year with TTL 65 set.

Funny, I JUST set my ATT to 64 yesterday and ran a quick speed test and then set it back to Auto...no difference. I’ll try 65 again.

I wonder if regions and bands make a difference?

Yeah, I tried 64 yesterday as well. I tried googling what people are using and it seems 65 is the number mentioned most. Wish Peplink could offer guidance but haven't found anything from them.

I also read AT&T doesn't seem to care about TTL, not sure I agree. I'm sticking with 65 for now. During travels nothing set worked well but here where I seem to be competing with others something is different. TTL 65 is giving me 100 down now where I was struggling to break 5-10 yesterday.

@Neal I've seen a thread somewhere that you guide through setting outbound policies for your Pepwave setup. I've searched high and low. Can you direct me?
Just got my new Max Transit Duo and am excited to get it fully setup and load balancing. Thanks
Here's a helpful guide from 5G store for Outbound policies and Speedfusion testing. When I saw this a week or two back I made a note to go back and check my setup. Finally had a chance today. I use the persistance setting as Neal mentions, but also use Outbound policies to setup Load Balancing, which is a primary value of Peplink with multiple connections in my opinion. I also have prioritization setup for VOIP, and am working to setup the best policy to keep my Apple TV Traffic off the Speedfusion VPN, as I don't want to use that bandwidth too quickly right now.

Attachments

• Peplink_SpeedFusion_testing.pdf
    773.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Peplink-Load-Balancing.pdf
    638.8 KB · Views: 7
TTL made no difference, it was just morning is faster, now it's slow. Hate cellular, it's not like an ethernet cable with fiber connection. And providers are having to play games with their demands it seems so nothing is constant.

Latest resources

Back