RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
Catalina Trail Blazer 26TH
RV Length
Fulltimer
No

Used panel

I have this posted on another forum. Just trying to get as much input as possible.

Just wondering if anyone has used a preowned residential panel for their install. Came across a place here in Lexington that sells and installs solar. They have quite a few used 250watt plus panels for sale at $100 apiece. If i understant them correctly, they come with a 1 year warranty and the option to purchase a 5 year additional warranty.

Since I have jsut started my research on solar and not being sure this is something the wife will be comforatable with I figured that with one or possibley even 2 used panels, I can put a kit together for about 300 dollars or so if I do the install myself. The only problem I can see is trying to find a location for the charge controller that is close to the batteries and would a) get airflow and b) be protected from damage. The closest would be the basement of the toy hauler but it does not have a door on both sides since the warer heater is on the driver side. and if I used the under bed area, I would lose most of the little bit of storage that I have.

My ideal location is under the fridge next to the panel and the CO detector, but that may be too far away from the batteries. I gonna guess it would be about 15/20 feet of run but I have not measured it yet.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Used panel

I have this posted on another forum. Just trying to get as much input as possible.

Just wondering if anyone has used a preowned residential panel for their install. Came across a place here in Lexington that sells and installs solar. They have quite a few used 250watt plus panels for sale at $100 apiece. If i understant them correctly, they come with a 1 year warranty and the option to purchase a 5 year additional warranty.

Since I have jsut started my research on solar and not being sure this is something the wife will be comforatable with I figured that with one or possibley even 2 used panels, I can put a kit together for about 300 dollars or so if I do the install myself. The only problem I can see is trying to find a location for the charge controller that is close to the batteries and would a) get airflow and b) be protected from damage. The closest would be the basement of the toy hauler but it does not have a door on both sides since the warer heater is on the driver side. and if I used the under bed area, I would lose most of the little bit of storage that I have.

My ideal location is under the fridge next to the panel and the CO detector, but that may be too far away from the batteries. I gonna guess it would be about 15/20 feet of run but I have not measured it yet.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
I use used panels from San Tan solar in Gilbert, AZ. I paid 50 bucks each and they were tested and produce as advertised. At the price I bought 8 panels and 3 controllers. That makes 400 for panels and right at 300 for controllers. Controllers are PowMr MPPT 60 amp controllers.

Putting the controllers closers to the ceiling is warmer so batteries don't suffer from heat. Also that is where I have room.

Wire runs are 8 awg parallel to batteries, and 10 awg to panels. For my system I have 600 amp hours of AGM batteries, this is over kill but the price couldn't be beat. 200 was fine in the past.

I like 24 volt systems, but 12 works too. I am full time so the more beefed up the system the better.

My 3000i generator gets a work out when I need A/C or micro, no other time. The power cord is fed by the inverter

What do I use 2000 watts of solar for? Well, instant pot, refrigerator, chest freezer, power tools. 4 computers, TV, and house loads.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back