• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Igiveup

RVF Regular
Good day all,
I am new to the 5th wheel world and I had a wire break on my new to me trailer. I have a 2013 coachmen brookstone M-367RL 5th wheel. The red wire terminal wire broke at the base of it, my question is am I safe to solder it back together? I feel like it can be done, but just wanted a bit of advice if possible. I have added a picture to show which wire. Thank you in advance

Attachments

• A4D3D0BA-C5F4-4803-9DB2-98CE6BE4DBB3.jpeg
    A4D3D0BA-C5F4-4803-9DB2-98CE6BE4DBB3.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 18
If you mean fix the wire yes, if you mean solder the spade connector back on the device, NO. I believe that is the high temp cut out safety device and the heat will most likely ruin it.

Anything else I can try to get it connected that doesn’t require replacement of the entire water heater?

This is a high amperage connection, relatively speaking. I'd splice in a well crimped new connector and then monitor that new connection for overheating. Good advice was provided above in post #2.

Rick

I looked at the spade connector and it looks as if it just popped off. Not sure the best way to explain it, but the best I can say it it looks almost like a copper rivet was holding it through the eye hole. It’s not broken on either piece just kinda pulled through. I think if I could get something to hold it back together it would work. That spade connection just pulled off

Attachments

• 4FA4C9F6-D942-491F-9A73-0E254D9F0F7D.jpeg
    4FA4C9F6-D942-491F-9A73-0E254D9F0F7D.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 7
This is a better picture. The brass piece circled just let the spade connector to pop off

Attachments

• 1EBC364B-2885-4697-8C71-24ED6B13D141.jpeg
    1EBC364B-2885-4697-8C71-24ED6B13D141.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 4
The rivet is what holds it on tight. It is mounted to plastic to isolate it. It will not take the heat of solder and glue will not give you proper contact for the electricity. It is probably 12 volt not 120 but it is a safety and needs to function. I am currently at the National RV school in Texas and we have not yet gone into water heaters in dept. That will be a week long course. I will look at the units for practice but my common sense and previous experience tells me you need a new one. And it may be difficult to get parts. Send me the make and model # and I will find out from the instructors if parts are available.

That second pic you supplied doesn't look like your original posted pic. Is it just some pic you foound off the 'net?
The second pic appears to be some type of thermal switch. The hole to the left side, in that metal bracket on the bottom......does it have a small screw through it?
If so, take a couple pictures so that you have a referance for later. Remove the screw, and lift that switch off the board. (Don't force it.) There's probably even some temp ratings lightly stamped into the side you can't see.
Take it to a local HVAC supply house and show them what you have. They'll probably be able to fix you up nicely.

Roger

Latest resources

Back