Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What if cars/trucks stopped becoming towable four down?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Could it happen? Would we all need dollies to tow our toads? Can you imagine the situation at campgrounds if so?

I bought a dolly that stands on its tail when not in use. Up against the rear bumper of the coach means I require just under an extra three feet of parking space. Right about the same amount of extra room I need if I am using a motorcycle carrier instead.

Might have to switch over to something more streamlined.
1695063593051.jpeg

stacker all the way. I have seen some really impressive setups. Carry two cars with a lift and a sled to get the vehicles in. We could probably get your airplane into one. Some disassembly and assembly required.

From my read of the automobile trends, electronic controlled transmissions are becoming the norm. These transmissions, unless specifically designed to accommodate Flat Towing, will not tolerate flat towing.
Computer controlled transmission has the lubrication pump driven by the engine. When engine is stopped, no lubrication. Some automatic transmissions are designed to retain some lubrication and are designed to be towed a relatively short distance but need periodic engine start and gear selection for lubrication.

Not all manual transmission will tolerate being flat towed. This is why when an 18 wheeler is towed the drive shaft is disconnected, even manual transmission trucks.

Fewer and fewer vehicle manufacturers see the need to provide this feature nor willing to accept the liability for tow mistakes by operators.

I suspect sooner or later you will see electric vehicle models that are towable four down. Rivian initially indicated that the R1T would be 4 down towable but changed their mind at the last minute. I’m sure it’s a software issue.

For those that want to see what happens when you tow an 18 wheeler without removing the driveshaft ...:)

Latest resources

Back