Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What options on New RV that end up never used?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Our first MH we chose a Sat Dish (DISH), Outdoor TV, WiFi option, thinking these would be good things to have.

Never used either The Outdoor TV, was unplugged the entire owners ship, and the satellite dish, went unused after demo period. Never found time or anything worth watching. All these options ended up doing is using up useful load. :-(

The optional WiFi was quickly replaced with an aftermarket unit that was much more capable and reliable.

Everyone's desire and uses are different and we all see value our own way. I use my Dish, as I have it in my house also, and just ordered a new coach with one. I do not see the value, yet, in Starlink. Paying 140/150 a month, then paying for a streaming service on top of that.
I did not order a dw in this coach. I can wash quicker and the extra space is handy.
I also did not order a bench in the shower. The last two I only touched for put them into travel mode.
I also would never buy/order a coach without a washer and dryer
I do use the outside TV, not as much as I like but enough to justify it

Our first MH we chose a Sat Dish (DISH), Outdoor TV, WiFi option, thinking these would be good things to have.

Never used either The Outdoor TV, was unplugged the entire owners ship, and the satellite dish, went unused after demo period. Never found time or anything worth watching. All these options ended up doing is using up useful load. :-(

The optional WiFi was quickly replaced with an aftermarket unit that was much more capable and reliable.
And putting holes in the roof!

Because most solar panels are standard in one dimension, mounting for them would be very useful, and not an issue for those that don't want solar.

When I bougt my coach it had a Winegard dish system and OTA antenna. I removed both almost immediately to make room for solar. I’ve only used the TVs a few times to play movies to entertain the grand kids before bed time.

But the option I immediately thought of when I saw this thread was the $800 hammock contraption that the original owner ordered with the coach. That thing takes up too much space, the support frame weights too much, it would take too much time to set up, it would only be useful when the awning could shade it, and even then it would be in the way of anything else going on in that area. The only reason I still have it (stored at home in my garage) is to pass along to the next owner of the coach.

This was also the fate for the passenger seat side table contraption - looks good in the brochure pics but is more of an encumbrance than a useful adjunct, so it too is stored safely in the garage and awaiting a new owner some day.

And putting holes in the roof!
When I removed my dish to make room for more solar, I left the mounting ring attached to the roof to avoid opening up more penetrations than necessary. I had to clearance it a bit in a couple spots to make it low enough to clear the panel, but I was careful not to disturb the hardware and sealant and now its all protected by a solar panel. I had a leak last year around one of my vents due to sealant failure so this can be an issue for any penetration in the roof.

When I bougt my coach it had a Winegard dish system and OTA antenna. I removed both almost immediately to make room for solar. I’ve only used the TVs a few times to play movies to entertain the grand kids before bed time.

But the option I immediately thought of when I saw this thread was the $800 hammock contraption that the original owner ordered with the coach. That thing takes up too much space, the support frame weights too much, and it would take too much time to set up, and then it would only be useful when the awning could shade it, and even then it would be in the way of anything else going on in that area. The only reason I still have it (stored at home in my garage) is to pass along to the next owner of the coach.

This was also the fate for the passenger seat side table contraption - looks good in the brochure pics but is more of an encumbrance than a useful adjunct, so it too is stored safely in the garage and awaiting a new owner some day.
Yah that antenna was useful in it's time! I leave enough on the RV to plug the hole, both inside and out, but solar is installed where it was.

This is where inside portion of the OTA antenna was mounted. I used the original plastic direction indicator and a piece of beer can aluminum painted to match the headliner to cover the hole. It could be worse I guess. I suppose it might be an ok place for a CO detector.
IMG_2969.jpeg

Sat dish.
Televisions in the bunks.
Universal remote.

This is where inside portion of the OTA antenna was mounted. I used the original plastic direction indicator and a piece of beer can aluminum painted to match the headliner to cover the hole. It could be worse I guess. I suppose it might be an ok place for a CO detector.
View attachment 22684
Good Show!

20240128_082908.jpg

Mine hides behind this cabinet so only visible to me!!

Is an older design but you gave me an idea to hang another, something on the post!

Latest resources

Back