Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What is the best pellet smoker?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I followed @Neal’s recommendation 2 years ago and got GMG Davey Crockett and been very pleased ?. Actually just did ribs last night and they were great. Carry in the back of the Colorado.
I used to carry the tailgater in back of my pickup. It is similar in size to the Davey Crockett. When I purchased the jeep, i realized I had lost a lot of real-estate. The ranger fits nicely in my 1/2 bay slide tray, and is much lighter.

I like the looks of the Davy Crockett and it appears to be solid construction. How heavy is the smoker?

I like the looks of the Davy Crockett and it appears to be solid construction. How heavy is the smoker?
On the GMG website, they say "57 pounds." I don't know if that is shipping weight or actual unit weight. Seems pretty heavy for just the grill.

EDIT: Looks like the Traeger Ranger is listed at 60 pounds and the Recteq RT-340 at 80 pounds. And these are all "smaller" grills? Yikes...gonna have to get back into the gym again!

TJ

Last edited:
It specs out at 57 lbs and the older I get the heavier it gets?

It specs out at 57 lbs and the older I get the heavier it gets?
That may be a deal-breaker for me to carry in the coach. Now rethinking my strategy. Maybe just adding a larger pellet grill to the sticks-and-bricks for the time we're here is a better solution. Hmmmmm.

TJ

The way the legs fold up it makes a good carry/lift handle and if there are two of you then it's even easier, grab each end and it's a non-issue. There is a lift handle on one side (pellet box) and the chimney (good handle) on the other. It fits in my slideout bay with no problem. I suggest keep your eyes peeled at your CG visits and if you see one go check it out. It is heavy per se as is the awkward 22in blackstone griddle but you struggle for 1 minute tops and you're done, no struggle if you have help. The cook is worth it. And no mess, just vacuum out the burner box a few times a year, I use my dyson handheld. It's also nice (GMG Davey Crockett) in that it comes with 12V battery alligator clips so you can take it to any other destination too and use for tailgating, etc. which is what it's designed for.

Look for one that has stainless burner box, My next one will have one.

Hey y’all. Glad to hear the positive comments on the GMG and their WiFi app. Thank you; I was contracted by GMG years ago to design the first version to send to the programmers and love to see it grow and gain popularity! They are one FANTASTIC COMPANY!!

The issue with the Davey Crockett can be the height and weight. It’s a bit unwieldy for one person.

Instead, I’ve been carrying the Camp Chef Pursuit, which fits PERFECTLY sideways in my half bay next to the tool bay! It has folding “lambs legs”, I call them, kinda like a gurney. The handles on each END make it MUCH easier to lift with two people. What’s great with the Pursuit is that you DO NOT have to extend the legs to use it; just set it on a table or ground. The ash pot dump is INGENIOUS and can be done with a pull of a lever...not taking the grill apart to vacuum out!!! The grill and hopper lids are secured with travel latches...brilliant! As to the grilling features, it does an excellent job. The sliding shield for Direct Flame is a good feature that sets it apart.

Only thing with these baby smokers, is they won’t get to super high temps, ie 500+. But, I’ve seared and cooked everything in them beautifully.

If you need a great resource, I highly recommend my great friend and fellow RV-er @Ericrowley18. He is the quintessential Grill Geek and, so much so, he started a business In 2012 called TheBBQHQ and now carries dozen of lines and grills and supplies. He’s killing it now!

There isn’t a grill Eric hasn’t used and is a wealth of information!!

Instead, I’ve been carrying the Camp Chef Pursuit, which fits PERFECTLY sideways in my half bay
But, again, it weighs in at 82 pounds! That's fine for two capable people to handle, but when you have an older couple, one with two artificial knees and the other a bad back, this kind of weight becomes problematic.

TJ

But, again, it weighs in at 82 pounds! That's fine for two capable people to handle, but when you have an older couple, one with two artificial knees and the other a bad back, this kind of weight becomes problematic.

TJ
Correct TJ. Trust me, it’s easier to pick up than the DC. Frankly, there isn’t a lightweight pellet grill suitable for carrying in an RV.
For this reason, Eric is going to start carrying a PK Grill in his trailer. He loves the ease of use and it’s SO light to carry and move. But, it’s still charcoal, and doesn’t have the computer controlled “set it and forget it” that people have come to enjoy with the pellet grills.

Eric and I have toyed with developing a pellet grill on a slide out which would never have to be removed. Unfortunately, there are a lot of obstacles to overcome; from space to weight to enough clearance so your rig won’t get smoked up.

So, we continue to lift the 80 pound Pursuit which is not that bad for us right now. What’s so nice about our community, is that there always seems to be a kind person to help you out. Just toss them a rib or two for thanks. ?

Latest resources

Back