Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What is the best pellet smoker?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I carry a Traeger Ranger in our Bay Star. It works incredibly well and couldn’t be easier to use. The upside is all that is hyped with the Traeger line. The downside is cooking real estate. It has limited space so multiple racks of ribs are a non-starter. Same with a hole turkey. But it does well for grilling over “wood” fire or smoking pork butts, whole chickens, or a rack of ribs.

I carry a Traeger Ranger in our Bay Star. It works incredibly well and couldn’t be easier to use. The upside is all that is hyped with the Traeger line. The downside is cooking real estate. It has limited space so multiple racks of ribs are a non-starter. Same with a hole turkey. But it does well for grilling over “wood” fire or smoking pork butts, whole chickens, or a rack of ribs.
Can it do a whole brisket? Or, at least a whole "flat."

TJ

Can it do a whole brisket? Or, at least a whole "flat."

TJ
TJ,

We have cooked a 3+ pound brisket and there was room to spare. Probably not a whole lot of room but it was big enough for four people with leftovers. I’m amateur enough to not know enough smoking jargon to know the size of a whole flat. Since we are a gasser I can’t go bigger but it works very well.

Bill

I love my used tailgater Traeger. I bought it at a campsite. Last night I marinated some Columbia River steelhead trout in a small amount of Italian Dressing. Then smoked for 40 min and cooked for another 10. Also sliced up some homegrown yellow squash, partially precooked and then on the smoker with the steelhead. Heavenly dinner! I buy the Traeger pellets at Costco.

TJ,

We have cooked a 3+ pound brisket and there was room to spare. Probably not a whole lot of room but it was big enough for four people with leftovers. I’m amateur enough to not know enough smoking jargon to know the size of a whole flat. Since we are a gasser I can’t go bigger but it works very well.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. That would be enough for a nice brisket sandwich for me; LadyDi might have to have toasted cheese though. ;) Yes, I do love my brisket!

Just for information, the whole brisket is made up of two parts; the "flat" (generally, the larger part) and the "point," a muscle section that lays on top of the flat until separated. Most folks prefer the "flat" if not cooking a full brisket. And, the "flat" is more commonly found in the meat section of supermarkets. Dedicated butcher shops will probably have a full brisket, if preferred.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi I have done a whole brisket on my GMG DC Cutting the flat off at the point. I have a rack insert by GMG and use, which allows me to rotate the sections which works great since the point is thinner.

I always have Lisa help moving the grill but is easily done. Lisa gets the handle on the end of the hopper and I use the handle. If stored in the basement on a slide I think it would be something you and Lady Di could handle.

Thanks, Bill. That would be enough for a nice brisket sandwich for me; LadyDi might have to have toasted cheese though. ;) Yes, I do love my brisket!

Just for information, the whole brisket is made up of two parts; the "flat" (generally, the larger part) and the "point," a muscle section that lays on top of the flat until separated. Most folks prefer the "flat" if not cooking a full brisket. And, the "flat" is more commonly found in the meat section of supermarkets. Dedicated butcher shops will probably have a full brisket, if preferred.

TJ

Thanks for my lesson! I love good brisket but haven’t got to the point of doing as well as BBQ joints.

The ranger lists heavier than the scout. The difference is the included skillet. This has a lot of weight to it. Removing the skillet, the unit is much lighter, and easier moved. Far easier than the tailgater.

The ranger lists heavier than the scout. The difference is the included skillet. This has a lot of weight to it. Removing the skillet, the unit is much lighter, and easier moved. Far easier than the tailgater.

I forgot about the griddle. It is definitely added weight. I don’t use it since I carry a Blackstone.

I have the Traeger at home and the GM in the coach and both are WIFI. I like the GM better because I can build my profile to my liking. I do Ribs at 411 which I built my custom profile of 4 hours at 225 then alarm - wrap with brown sugar, butter, and agave back on the grill for another hour at 275 - then unwrap with BBQ sauce at 325 then set to keep warm. I have not found a way to build a custom profile with the Treager.

Latest resources

Back