RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Rubicon
We are leaving for Florida on the 21st of Dec and the 10-day forecast says it will be around 7 degrees when we are ready to leave in the morning of the 21st. We are going to have electric heaters inside the coach to keep the interior above freezing and we plugged it into a 50 amp connection. I've heard that needs to be below zero before it's really needed. Do you think I need to plug in the block heater? I have never used it on my Class A coach so are there any does or don't?

Last edited:
I would definitely plug in the block heater the night before you leave. Start up will be easy, warm up will be faster, and the defroster and dash heat will work right away. There is no rule on when not to use it. It can never hurt - just not necessary when its warmer. But 7° definitely qualifies as cold enough.

Gas or diesel?

On my gas vehicles, I don't generally use it until it gets down to about -4. But on diesels it's typically needed below about 32.

When attending Spartan Academy they mentioned temps below 40*

When attending Spartan Academy they mentioned temps below 40*
I concur with this - If you are going to start up in low temps, it only helps to have the engine pre-warmed.

Latest resources

Back