• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Where were you with your NEWMAR today?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@NWIP Did they get the sign back up? What a crazy storm. Say hi to all the peeps at The Edge. Enjoy! ?

No sign, they said wind was 70mph

Made it to Elkhorn Ridge RV Park in Spearfish, SD. The people in SD are practicing ZERO social distancing. Feels much safer in MT than here. I'm hoping hiking some of the more remote trails will put me back in my happy place. Picked up an Indian Taco at the Cheyenne Crossing Store (had the veggie one in 2018 so it was a necessary repeat experience) and sigh, I admit I got their homemade carrot cake too...for later with my tea. Sooo good. ?

D92F046E-1ECB-482D-97B5-65587F806AB4.jpeg

Holiday Trav-L-Park, Virginia Beach, VA
Click here
Google Maps: Click here
Cellular: Very tough cellular location, must be just outside the outer rings of every cell tower. This is where I had a weboost RV 65 shipped to me prior to pepwave days and even with that it was difficult. With my pepwave setup on AT&T and Verizon I'm getting acceptable connectivity depending on time of day, evenings go do something else! Even split on which is best between AT&T and Verizon but coverage is very trying here.
OTA: So so, a few channels.
SAT: Only a few sites will have clearance from the trees so don't count on it
WiFi: Tengo internet which I have not tried, I hate Tengo!
Amenities: Tons to do here. They have a designated parking lot for this CG near the beach which is really really nice! NW Corner of 9th and Pacific.

I usually get a super site here which is in the 8xx numbered sites. I couldn't get one for my date window as it fell on July 4th (intentionally) so I'm in a less than desirable site, or so I thought. I have good shade from trees although magneshade is required as I'm facing SW and getting afternoon sun in the front windshield, it's very hot and muggy here in the summer! Anyways, so far I've been lucky as I have this "island" to myself, this section of sites so far is vacant so it's worked out well so far. When I first came here in 2018 I got a standard site with full hookups, I asked to be moved and found paradise in the 8xx series they moved me to. I already booked 2021 and only 4-5 super sites were available, I'll probably book 2022 now too for the July 4th window. VA Beach typically has good fireworks. I have to decide if I want to do Myrtle for my beach trip in 2022 but for now 2021 I'm booked here. VA Beach is one of my fav beaches on the east coast (Atlantic ocean side vs. the FL gulf). Very wide open beaches, great sand, multiple Ben & Jerry's stores (just sayin), fishing pier, great food.

Warning: This CG is on the end of one of the runways at NAS Oceana. If the winds are just right (wrong) you will be camping on an aircraft carrier. As a former fighter pilot I love the "sound of freedom" but last year the winds were favoring the runway that this CG is on the extended centerline of and it was annoying!

IMG_1888.png

Last edited:
That’s our go-to spot in VA Beach! We love the supersites too, especially since on our first visit it rained so much everything flooded.

It is definitely a tough location for cell service no matter the provider though.

That’s our go-to spot in VA Beach! We love the supersites too, especially since on our first visit it rained so much everything flooded.

It is definitely a tough location for cell service no matter the provider though.

A few hours after this photo was taken, i.e. the day of my arrival, we got torrential downpours. My guess is 2-3 inches of rain. There is a bridge next to my site which means it's crossing a drainage ditch i.e. it's a RIVER. The amount of water we had overnight until morning was amazing, fortunately it drained fast. A mess on a non concrete padded site.

I love the restaurants here such as Waterman's, Rudee's Inlet, and I am dying to go but I'm not going anywhere this year for the pandemic situation. It's hard as it's like an addiction or habit, I want to go get my fix. I may do a takeout, we'll see, but I came here with no expectations of eating out. I took the dog to the beach yesterday and was amazed how many people were at the beach, looked like normal. It is a holiday weekend. There is no pandemic here, if you expected things to look different. Tons of tent sites up, RV spaces are I'd say 80-90% occupied.

I’ve been there a couple of times. They have like six pools there IIRC. Both times I went there it was to take in Doobie Brothers concerts at the big outdoor venue (name escapes me).

Latest resources

Back