Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Why can't RV builders figure out the small trailer market?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Blueblaze you sound like the customers at the grocery stores where I worked for over 30 years.
They complained to no end when "their" product was discontinued. They would always complain about the store discontinuing the best products. In reality store do not discontinue products the sell.
Manufacturers do in fact know what the market wants, they're not going to build a trailer that doesn't sell.
That's to easy!!! Cuss de mer demand!!!

100% agree with fish,we have been doing the camping hobby for years,Michigan and Indiana. I can count on one hand when the bathroom facilities were comfortable, this is why I purchased a trailer and remodeled the tub to a shower. Michigan state parks having the best facilities.

Ok, I'm full of it. But here's a fun fact. The closest thing out there to my list is probably the Jayco Hummingbird 16MRB. Reasonably comfortable sofa/murphy bed, and NO DINETTE. Wastes a bunch of space on a giant dry bath, but can at least claim an actual closet. Barely towable by an SUV.

As near as I can tell, there are a grand total of THREE for sale in the entire country.

It's no longer made. It was replaced by the Jay Flight SLX 154BH. Bunk beds for the kids, with a front dinette that converts to a sleep torture device for the grownups -- exactly like the same trailer from Coachman, Forest River, and everyone else. RVTrader shows 5,717 available nationwide, ignoring all the other identical trailers from the other vendors.

If I'm so off-base, why didn't everyone who owned a Hummingbird dump them for a Jay Flight? There ought to be thousands of them out there, dirt cheap. But apparently, a whole bunch of satisfied owners are hoarding them, and nobody wants the replacement. If Jayco is so perfectly in-tune to their market, why haven't they noticed?

Here another example. At first blush, this one looks like the one: Winnebago Hike 100 H1316MB. Murphy bed, closet, wet bath, tiny fridge, and that's it. It's TOO small. And yet the silly thing has a 550' hitch weight! What are they thinking? Completely un-towable by an SUV. And yet there are half of many of them available as that bigger, lighter, bunkhouse Jayflight, with its 250lb hitch weight and front torture device.

I'm sorry. I don't see any evidence that the vendors have the slightest clue about this end of the market, at all.

@Blueblaze - Describe what your ideal trailer would be. Feel free to mix features found in a Prevost or a Popup trailer. I am just curious what your are looking for, as I am sure it exists, or can easily be retrofit based on whats out there. I have done a lot of this, as I now own 2 motorhomes and 3 travel trailers. I tend to buy a product for a specific purpose but have done a fair bit of customizing along the way.

I have a 2700lb camper for towing behind my jeep, a 38ft travel trailer, a 50Ft 6 horse trailer with living quarters, a 2019 Gas Newmar Coach and a 2022 London Air Diesel pusher. I also have a few tents and hammocks that I use seasonally, so I am pretty well rounded out in the camping experience.
I don't think I can do any better at describing my perfect trailer than the post that started this thread.

Sounds like you are an expert at camping. Me too. I once spent a month hiking the Appalachian Trail with a 30lb pack, sleeping in a tent that used my hiking poles for support. It was one of the highlights of my life. But I don't use an RV to go camping. I use an RV to go TRAVELING.

Most people my age are far past the camping stage of their lives. Unless they're going camping, the people who might be interested in a small trailer pulled by an SUV are retired couples, not families with kids. Any old popup works fine for camping. But like most retired couples who like RVing (and don't like sleeping in a stranger's bed), I'm looking for a rolling motel room, not a glorified tent. I don't understand why the vendors don't get that.

I don't think I can do any better at describing my perfect trailer than the post that started this thread.

As I stated above, fitting in a garage is not feasible beyond the popup category.

The way I solved that delima is I built a garage that would fit my RVs.

Once that is resolved, then you need to determine the max weight and length you want to deal with, and then start prioritizing various features. Airstream is probably where you would find the most options, and you can custom order one or buy an older one that can be remodeled to fit your needs exactly.

Ok, I'm full of it. But here's a fun fact. The closest thing out there to my list is probably the Jayco Hummingbird 16MRB. Reasonably comfortable sofa/murphy bed, and NO DINETTE. Wastes a bunch of space on a giant dry bath, but can at least claim an actual closet. Barely towable by an SUV.

As near as I can tell, there are a grand total of THREE for sale in the entire country.

It's no longer made. It was replaced by the Jay Flight SLX 154BH. Bunk beds for the kids, with a front dinette that converts to a sleep torture device for the grownups -- exactly like the same trailer from Coachman, Forest River, and everyone else. RVTrader shows 5,717 available nationwide, ignoring all the other identical trailers from the other vendors.

If I'm so off-base, why didn't everyone who owned a Hummingbird dump them for a Jay Flight? There ought to be thousands of them out there, dirt cheap. But apparently, a whole bunch of satisfied owners are hoarding them, and nobody wants the replacement. If Jayco is so perfectly in-tune to their market, why haven't they noticed?

Here another example. At first blush, this one looks like the one: Winnebago Hike 100 H1316MB. Murphy bed, closet, wet bath, tiny fridge, and that's it. It's TOO small. And yet the silly thing has a 550' hitch weight! What are they thinking? Completely un-towable by an SUV. And yet there are half of many of them available as that bigger, lighter, bunkhouse Jayflight, with its 250lb hitch weight and front torture device.

I'm sorry. I don't see any evidence that the vendors have the slightest clue about this end of the market, at all.
I dialed in mentally what we needed and went to see a similar model at a dealership and found out the model I was looking for was no longer available and the newer models was not the same floor plan.
I don't agree that the manufacturer builds what is desired, as much as they do a cycle for a time and then change floor plan.
Basically put the same thing in a different place, but what I did was new what I wanted and found 1 in Oklahoma and 1 in Wisconsin, we are in Indiana.
You may need to shop until you find the right camper and be prepared to make a trip. That in itself is a challenge.
We did look at a few trailers that were lighter than 3000 lbs,no thanks, not what they were asking for price.
BTW I think you're correct on your first comment.

Sounds like you are an expert at camping. Me too. I once spent a month hiking the Appalachian Trail with a 30lb pack, sleeping in a tent that used my hiking poles for support. It was one of the highlights of my life. But I don't use an RV to go camping. I use an RV to go TRAVELING.

Most people my age are far past the camping stage of their lives. Unless they're going camping, the people who might be interested in a small trailer pulled by an SUV are retired couples, not families with kids. Any old popup works fine for camping. But like most retired couples who like RVing (and don't like sleeping in a stranger's bed), I'm looking for a rolling motel room, not a glorified tent. I don't understand why the vendors don't get that.
Why not just stay in a motel, then?

So it seems ironical that your first post appeared shortly after a joke I shared.

Honestly I thought your post was a joke so responded as such!

Anyhow I get some of what your saying,but not all! As such I need to ask you a few questions!

1) do you have any children?
2) how many?
3) do your kids visit, do you want them to,(if you have any)?
4)are they twins (if you have any)???

Please don't answer!

Just know that accomodations in my rig is unacceptable for more than a couple! If there is an opportunity for a family visit, I will gladly sleep in the truck,and offer family my trailer as their hometel!!!

Some might get a chuckle out of this,and it was written for that effect, but underneath this post is serious!!!

Good thoughts to some degree. My take away is you need to find what suits best, no RV will have everything and go more. Retired and 6 weeks of use is not enough travel time. 😜. Enjoy.

I suggest that you buy what is close to what you want in the way the floor plan is laid out. You can remove and replace dinettes and sofas. You can even replace the bed/mattress.

I built my own "Residential Vehicle" inside a former school bus (this is my home not a weekender rolling apartment). I have an 11CF upright freezer (a must), a washer & an LP dryer (also musts), a bathroom with a separate shower (lived with a wet bath and loathed it). I have a 30 inch home range (the one from my last house) which I considered important. I also have a dishwasher (I don't like to hand wash dishes). And I have a propane fireplace (had to put that vintage fireplace mantle to work). I do not have a dinette. Had one in a class c. It was a catch all. My husband and I tended to eat meals while watching a movie. I still do.

Knowing now what I didn't know then, I would have put all my work into a toyhauler fifth wheel. And I would have left this state while I still could.

I think that you might want to check out Trail Manor. When we looked at it, it was a well built little trailer that our vehicles could have pulled with no problem yet was easy to open and once opened looked and acted more like a fixed trailer than a popup. I could not ever catch a used one for sale. They sold too fast.

Latest resources

Back