Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Why can't RV builders figure out the small trailer market?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Forgive my ignorance! I've been doing this RV lifestyle for several years, built a few,sold a few! Every time I am through building one for personal use, I hear the people praise my work. they say I should start building trailers! Then I get some new ideas so out comes the for sale sign! Yup you guessed it! Hard as hen's teeth to sell.

The point is, I have been trying to figure out the "market" for a very Long time!

What is the market??? I'm listening!

One of your points concerns the dinette! They call those things that people are glued to boob tubes for a reason! Some people would rather play a game with family or friends,so feel a dinette is nessisary.

Many people want a shower they can feel comfortable using. Low ceilings,and small tanks stop that idea in it's tracks.

MURPHY!!! What can go wrong???

The point is the only time the question, "if you think you can do better, then why don't you just buy me out?". That has had a Happy ending,that I know of, was when Silver Line sold to the owner of Newell!!!

You, like others, seem to know what they want! Those that get it convert,or build from scratch!

I have done both, and always see what I could have done better!!!

Just saying!

Welcome to the forum!
Do you seriously think anybody 55 and over hits the road so they can spend their evenings in a cramped booth playing "Go Fish" with their spouse, while sitting on a place mat that's trying to pass for a seat cushion? You may look down on retired folks who would rather spend their evenings in front of the boob tube than sitting on a rock next to a campfire, but all I can say, buddy, is -- your time is coming.

And by the way -- I'm your market. Make a tow-able, garage-able trailer with a comfortable bed and couch, and 50 million retirees with beat a path to your door. Nobody who has kids wants to spend a week with them in an 8x10 cell. So quit making that assumption, and maybe you might not need anyone to buy you out.

@Blueblaze - Describe what your ideal trailer would be. Feel free to mix features found in a Prevost or a Popup trailer. I am just curious what your are looking for, as I am sure it exists, or can easily be retrofit based on whats out there. I have done a lot of this, as I now own 2 motorhomes and 3 travel trailers. I tend to buy a product for a specific purpose but have done a fair bit of customizing along the way.

I have a 2700lb camper for towing behind my jeep, a 38ft travel trailer, a 50Ft 6 horse trailer with living quarters, a 2019 Gas Newmar Coach and a 2022 London Air Diesel pusher. I also have a few tents and hammocks that I use seasonally, so I am pretty well rounded out in the camping experience.

If the market was there I imagine the products would be there.

I think that trailer hitches on "mid size suv's" are an after thought, I certainly wouldn't do any camper towing with one. After a cut down to one lane traffic jam on I75 on the way home from Florida I saw a midsize suv towing a small airstream. It was the reason for the lane blockage. Jack knifed with side of suv caved in and airstream on it's side. Obvious tail wagging the dog situation.
I suggest that even if you took a 14 ft box/cargo trailer and built your own design with the things you ask for that you'd still be over the capabilities of a mid size suv.

I'm 67 and I don't know anyone my age who wants to use campground showers.

Do you seriously think anybody 55 and over hits the road so they can spend their evenings in a cramped booth playing "Go Fish" with their spouse, while sitting on a place mat that's trying to pass for a seat cushion? You may look down on retired folks who would rather spend their evenings in front of the boob tube than sitting on a rock next to a campfire, but all I can say, buddy, is -- your time is coming.

And by the way -- I'm your market. Make a tow-able, garage-able trailer with a comfortable bed and couch, and 50 million retirees with beat a path to your door. Nobody who has kids wants to spend a week with them in an 8x10 cell. So quit making that assumption, and maybe you might not need anyone to buy you out.
Well son! At 50 I was sailing in the sea of Cortez! In my late 60's I was building a few trailers. When I turned 70, I slowed down with haunta virus! I'm not looking for a market,only to stay busy, and have what I can't buy! For sure life is short, and not living it to the fullest, seems a fools game to me!

My suggestion to you, is buy what is sound, and make it your own! Life is too short to wait on others!!!

And by the way -- I'm your market. Make a tow-able, garage-able trailer with a comfortable bed and couch,....
This one requiremnet means that it is going to be a collapsable style trailer.

Hi-Lo Trailers: Camping Trailers | Hi-Lo Trailers are going to be the upper end, while the popup campers will be on the lower end.

Hi-Lo does not make any current products as they never recovered from the Covid. The market demand just was not there.

There is also Trail Manor, which is in current limited production.

As most garages are 8Ft doors, with 7ft 6in clearance, it is impossible to get a travel trailer in any standard home garage.

Interesting. I don't where you camp (or used to) but when I go there is no shortage of 30-somethings out there with shiny new campers. Some of them are my kids even.
Most manufacturers figure out quite quickly how to build "what sells". They are trying to make money. It's safe to assume the ones still in business after a number of years have a clue on what to put on the lots. They pay people to do nothing but figure that out.

As I read your response, it brings to mind a comment my brother used to make!

"Kevin, it doesn't cost that much!" Mind you we are not talking money here! But it all translates! Money management should be in everyone's plan at a young 70.

Wanting to trade down from 24ft due to HOA restrictions, makes a lot of sense. For me however ditching the HOA is more practical! But then not everyone at the prime of their life desires to start over!!!

Why! and what! are important to grasp in this man's rant!!! Now on to My brother. All things are relevant, and My brothers comment, comes from a man who's income was 4 times what mine was!!! Is this making any sense???
I'd never buy a house in a neighborhood with an HOA.

Heck, as long as we're spending money, why not a million-dollar Prevost!

The question is not whether comfortable RV's exist. I used to have one, back before I retired -- back when I used to have a job that allowed me to throw away money by the bucketful. The question is why do RV builders try to sell these small SUV-towable trailers that seem to be designed by Dr. Evil as human torture devices, when if they just pulled their head out and realized who their market was, they woudn't wind up with thousands of unsold trailers, with all those stupid dinettes and unsleepable beds.
Maybe it's because they do know what the market is. Surprise, surprise, you're far from the only customer in the market.

Do you seriously think anybody 55 and over hits the road so they can spend their evenings in a cramped booth playing "Go Fish" with their spouse
I would give all I have in this matrix, to make that happen again! But the game of choice between Us was jokers and pegs. The more we could get around that table no matter how crowded,the better! And yes those that sat in those wonderful moments, still tell me they miss them, and Her! So I am My market!

Maybe, just maybe your time will come, but hopefully you will have the same joy to look back on!!!

The most comfortable chair I ever sat in had no cushion. Cushions came after Craftsman quit making wooden chairs. Course that opinion is subjective!!!

Blueblaze you sound like the customers at the grocery stores where I worked for over 30 years.
They complained to no end when "their" product was discontinued. They would always complain about the store discontinuing the best products. In reality store do not discontinue products the sell.
Manufacturers do in fact know what the market wants, they're not going to build a trailer that doesn't sell.

Latest resources

Back