• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Will This Setup Work?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I saw this post on a Facebook group discussion about putting a bike rack on a travel trailer bumper and though it made a nice segue from this discussion.

1FFCBBAC-74A8-4DDA-9E5C-8DC8F1AA9A26.jpeg

I appreciate everyone's input, even if it isn't in my favor. With all the research I've done over the last week, here are my takeaways/goals:

- Keeping loaded trailer weight at 72.5% of towing capacity (4,500/6,200)
- Results in a tongue weight of 585 lbs (13%), under capacity of 620
- No cargo in tow vehicle to remain within payload capacity
- WDH/SC hitch to help distribute weight between the TT and TV, and reduce/prevent sway
- Calibrate that trailer brake controller
- Keep a safe distance and be aware of surroundings on the road
- Slow down or stop if conditions get too dangerous
- Have fun!

As I did research this week, between here and a few other places, I've learned a lot about the good and bad of RVing. Seeing everyone's response, whether in my favor or not, is really helpful for a first timer who wants to get to know the possible problems one might face.

Thanks all.

I'd be scared to attempt this. Sounds like he knows what he's doing, haha.

It’s not even legal to tow two trailers in some states. I won’t do it, but I’ll certainly put a bike rack on the back of the trailer if needed.

I have observed that often more than a few folks will quickly suggest something bigger and more powerful when towing questions (about any kind of trailer) are posed. At minimum, 100% of the time, those saying a particular setup won't work and something bigger and more powerful is needed are not willing pay for that something bigger and more powerful.

Your setup will work, the torque shortcomings of the Pentastar are somewhat reduced by having a 9 speed transmission. Leave a safe following distance within what's in your control and keep an eye on your gauges. Plan on poor fuel economy and be pleased if it turns out better than expected. HAVE FUN!!

Latest resources

Back