Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Would you consider buying a used motorhome or RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Why You Should Never Buy An RV Brand New:
An opinion

That’s a crazy good deal for a KADP. If it had bunks or a floorplan I could retrofit bunks into with minimal work I’d consider grabbing it.

I agree with Neal. On the high lines, used does make more sense and I wouldn’t have as much concern about how it was treated by the previous owner since folks buying new at that levelare typically very good about keeping up with maintenance. Even so, I’d take it through the ringer in terms of inspections before making an offer.

There is or was an active used market in bus conversions like Prevost or Newell. If my budget was in the high line series of coaches, I would consider a used Prevost assuming I could find one well maintained with good service records. Marathon in Oregon does remodeling and updating of the older coaches that can take an older coach and make it uniquely yours.
This is completely anecdotal and maybe I’ve just not seen any good examples, but almost every Prevost and Newell conversion I’ve come across, the decor is just not for me. It’s almost always very gaudy and cliche. Chrome, Gold and shining shimmering splendor everywhere you look.
Meanwhile, while I wish Newmar had some options for more modern aesthetics (think Swedish design) I do like that their color palettes and materials are more restrained and don’t require you to put on sunglasses before entering the coach. Newmar’s design materials come off as a very nice, luxury coach, but nothing overly flashy that screams “look at how much money I have”

I get the ebeejeebies about sleeping in a used bed so I'd be all for changing that out to make me feel better.
That's easy to fix, @Neal. And, a bonus is that you get a new mattress that YOU like. We did that with the 2014 Ventana LE which was the only used RV we have ever purchased.

That '19 KADP has a lot going for it. Someone will be getting a nice coach at a great price,

TJ

Low Inventory of used + HIgh demand for used motorhomes = Higher prices for high quality used motorhomes.

Since I have purchased what I hope is the last motorhome I hope the above statement is true. We purchased our coach new on a limited budget and didn't get the quality that we wanted. The second motorhome we purchased a higher quality motorhome but had to buy used to afford it. So hopefully more people buy used to decrease the inventory and keep prices of used motorhomes at a premium.

What was the price of the used KA?

Neal, I happen to agree with you on the aspects of buying used. We bought a new CanyonStar for this reason with Factory Pick Up. We did not want anyone else even driving our unit:) Much less living in it. We probably would have considered a DP if in the used market.

I previously had a couple of used Motorhomes and got tried of fixing issues that previous owners had created. When looking for our retirement coach I had planned on slightly used no more than 2-3 yrs old. Ended up buying new, late in the model year as the 2018s had already come out. When looking to upgrade to 4369, we only looked at new because we wanted it our way.

Not opposed to used, if there’s another

If I can’t pay cash, I don’t buy it. And if I find an additional $300K laying around, I’ll invest it in something that makes money, and not on a depreciating asset. So that pretty much put me in the “used” motor home group. ?

Latest resources

Back