Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Would you consider buying a used motorhome or RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The last time I purchased a new vehicle was 1992. I’m pretty frugal. I still have a 2001 Ford Ranger sitting in my garage. I’m actively looking for a newer coach, and am not even considering new. It has nothing to do with resources either. I’m just a tight bastard. :)

Our first coach was "used"....15 years old. A great coach! It made us decide to buy a new one. There are some "super deals" out there for someone that takes the time to do the homework, inspect it, & watch the prices! Records mean a significant amount!

We bought a new 2020, feel like I got an outstanding deal! Yes, it's gonna depreciate, but they all do....new or used. Having a factory warranty on coach & chassis was important in buying new. And when it is about out of warranty, I'll probably buy an "extended warranty" ! I'm pretty sure this will be our last coach, and becoming "aged" makes having a warranty more important to me now, than if I were 25 years younger.

So, I've done both, & have done the same over the years, buying other vehicles, some "new", some "used"; just depends on what I want!

And spending some of the "kid's inheritance" is kind of fun too!;)

The last time I purchased a new vehicle was 1992. I’m pretty frugal. I still have a 2001 Ford Ranger sitting in my garage. I’m actively looking for a newer coach, and am not even considering new. It has nothing to do with resources either. I’m just a tight bastard. :)
OK, so maybe not so tight.

We bought used and without a doubt would buy used again. We had a list of what we wanted since buying used you don't get to customize. We looked for over a year to find the coach that had everything we wanted plus additional features. We paid for an experienced inspector. The inspector we found was a husband and wife team. Both of them went through the coach thoroughly. We got a thorough report from them.

We bought just before COVID hit so we were able to negotiate. I think now used coaches are selling for a premium since there are less available (at least today). In 6-12 months that could change.

Interesting to note that the local Newmar dealer in CO has very, very few coaches on their lot and they are all high end coaches - King Aire, Essex, Mountain Aire.

We bought used last year - and would buy used again. Actually bought ours sight unseen, based on the photos, FaceTime walkthrough, lots of email questions and confirming maintenance records with the truck service center and coach mfg where they had all maintenance done.

Was there risk? Yes. In our situation I developed more trust in this seller than I have ever had with any vehicle purchase from a dealer. We discovered he was very particular and told us about “issues” that I never would have noticed. Also paid for repairing 2 items that were bugging him, without our knowing or asking (few thousand $).

After reading and hearing other stories, very very happy with our coach. Never did a “shake down” trip, we just started full-timing in it after selling the house.

Key takeaway: buy a used RV from someone more OCD than yourself. It is better than a dealer PDI. ?

This topic has been around for ever, new vs used coaches. Ohhh and the depreciation hit when you buy new. Well with Covid 19 status happening in a lot of industries that isn't the case right now. Pre Covid 19 a savvy negotiator could get 27% t0 32% off of MSRP on a new coach. If you studied RVtrader pricing, you could buy a NEW coach for the price that they were asking for two or three year old coaches. Yes I had a 2019 coach, for two years that I bought new, put 10K miles on it, and sold it for what I paid for it. And you know what, I sold it to cheap. I had four or five other buyers waiting in the wings if the deal didn't go through.

My first coach purchase was 2004 DP I bought in 2009. Paid $75K thought I got a great deal but I ended up putting in almost $20K to get it the way I wanted. A BIG thing for me is TECHNOLOGY. The way modern innovation moves these days, you use loose technology in a used coach that is three or four years old.

For example let's take Tiffin Red 33AA. The new for this year options, heated floors, Digital dash, Gerard Awnings, TPMS buil in monitor, three solar pannels and more. I am a technology guy. The newer the better. I really kicked myself in the butt when I bought a 5 year old DP and it didn't have updated TV's, had damn pleated shades, no auto battery charging, and much more.

I just purchased a new DP. This is my second new purchase. And there is something to be said to pick out the colors and paint design you want. Picking out all the options you want instead for settling for what you got used.

Yep for now put me in the new coach camp. My bed, my tanks, and colors, my paint, my way.... LOL

HH

Looking at possibly picking a class a in the spring that would be a 1/2 time traveler. We're looking at 3-5 years. I'm very picky on floorplans though so it's quite limiting. I've been primarily looking at Newmars. 175-225k gets you a lot of coach if you're ok with the 3-5 years. Trying to stay sub 50K miles and diesel pusher only. I have the same as others around beds but I'd be changing it out to a sleep number anyways since i have back issues so not a huge deal. Anything fabric is going to a professional cleaners. I feel like ~200K for something you're going to spend 1/2 your life in is a great deal. It's my wife and I and by then will be 2 kids.

Latest resources

Back