• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Y-split adapter to get more power at a 30-amp site

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The short answer is they do not work. I bought one tried it and it triggered the gfi in my 15amp outlet on my pedestal. As a 30amp connecter it worked just fine. Also using it as a 50 amp to 15 amp adapter, it did nothing. So essentially useless. I sent mine back and got a refund.

Last edited:
The short answer is they do not work. I bought one tried it and it triggered the gfi in my 15amp outlet on my pedestal. As a 30amp conmecter it worked just fine. Also using it as a 50 amp to 15 amp adapter, it did nothing. So essentially useless. I sent mine back and got a refund.
Hey Rich, at least on the detail page linked above, it states that it won't work with GFCI outlets. I'm still very skeptical though.

Below is the link to a previous discussion on this.

Bottom line on my findings was this: “It might work without a GFI on the plug on the 15amp side, and using it on less sensitive equipment such as a stick welder (might work), but my coach electronics are not pleased and I don’t want to upset them, much less let any smoke out.”

I thought about testing every connection in the thing and mapping it to see why its tripping the gfi, but decided it wasnt worth the time and since it was an amazon prime purchase, it was much more expedient to just send it back for a refund.

I also thought about running to extension cord to a non-gfi protected outlet to test it, but A) all 15amp outlets on RV pedestals Ive seen are GFI protected so it wouldn't matter anyway, and B) I didn't want to use my coach EMS as a test bed to find out what would happen. I‘m learning……

So does your vehicle have a 50A service or a 30A service?

If you have a 50A vehicle you can buy a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter but you will still only have 30 amps.

You can buy a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter but you will still have only 30 amps.

The only safe and reliable means to have more power is to have a 50 amp service and the vehicle configured for 50 amps. Otherwise, 30 amps is 30 amps, anyway one multiplies it.

Trying to use two different outlets at the campsite is very risky and borders on dangerous. Stay safe and do it the way it was designed.

I didn't want to use my coach EMS as a test bed to find out what would happen. I‘m learning……
Yeah, I totally agree with you there. It's not worth testing something like that with a 6+ figure investment. I'm more following to figure out how this could even really work.

Our TT has a 30A service. I carry a 50A to 30A adapter. But we still have only 30A, not 50A. The main breaker inside the trailer is 30A which is the limiting factor.

I also carry a 20A to 30A adapter. With this, I only have 20A which is limited by the breaker on the power post.

There is no free lunch.

In a service you can only have 1 neutral. As many circuits as you like, just one neutral. Every circuit uses that 1 neutral. With the neutral and ground lug bars connecting at one point, I'm thinking the sensitivity of the GFI is picking up the introduction of a new neutral as a dead short to ground. A regular plug would probably work, but then....

I'm 50 amp so never needed or tried one of these

Last edited:
In a service you can only have 1 neutral. As many circuits as you like, just one neutral. Every circuit uses that 1 neutral. With the neutral and ground lug bars connecting at one point, I'm thinking the sensitivity of the GFI is picking up the introduction of a new neutral as a dead short to ground. A regular plug would probably work, but then....

I'm 50 amp so never needed or tried one of these
So how do you deal with smaller campgrounds that only have 30A service?

So how do you deal with smaller campgrounds that only have 30A service?
My rig is 50Amp, all electric, 3 roof acs, resi fridge, induction cooktop etc. I don't use washer/dryer or ACs when on 30A, everything else (as long as you don't run at once) works without a problem. That's not even a hard rule, just two weeks ago I was in that position and it was getting hot. I turned on one AC and nothing tripped. I think you just need to be mindful of what you're going to use.
Yes you won't be able to use all 3 ACs, run a load of laundry, cook and use the oven at once, honestly I don't even know if I'd be able to do that with 50A.

Not trying to sound flip, but you use what you've got. I've seen many people try to rig something up and later regret it.
Also, just my observations, my wife and I try to book parks that have 50 amp. Some don't, but in all our trekking around the country I haven't yet not been able to find one that suited our needs.
Just be careful. I just want to throw this into the conversation.
Get yourself a multimeter and always check your pedestal. Many of the older parks aren't up to code and nothing will cook your rig quicker than an open ground. I've seen it a few times. A meter can save your rig

Latest resources

Back