RV Year
RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Bounder 34C
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Hi all.. I'm pretty new to the RV game, and got our first unit:: a used 1994 Fleetwood Bounder. It's got a few problems, and I'm looking for any advice on where to start looking for information? The first and biggest problem is that the House battery won't hold a charge. The RV came with a pair of 6V batteries for the house that were dead, so I replaced them with a single 12V battery. Everything worked fine for about 2 days, then it was dead too (reading 10V).

My initial thought is that either a) the charging circuit isn't working, or b) the charging circuit somehow requires 2 6V's instead of a 12V ? Anyone have any advice where I can look? Happy to read articles or watch youtube videos, it's just hard to find information on a 1994..

The 2nd problem I'm trying to find information on is the Leveling system. When I turn it on all I get is the "Low Battery" indicator, and no motion. I have no clue where to even start for this...

Normally you can't exchange two 6V batteries with a single 12v battery. It doesn't work that way. Google RV "House" batteries. There's tons of information out there. It doesn't matter that your RV is a 1994. The same info applies to a new one. I'm not a very good electrician so hopefully someone else can help you.

The two 6 volt batteries would have been wired together to provide 12 volts. So you CAN substitute a single 12 volt battery but expect much shorter longevity. (The lights to start going dim sooner.)
My old RV would run the batteries flat too. I was thinking car mode. In a car if a light in the glovebox stays on all the time, the battery is going. But I couldn't find anything one. I also had another issue or two. One day while rooting for something else I found a blown fuse in the area of my "BIRD". On mine, the BIRD is what tells the engine's alternator to charge things, or the generator when it's running, or shore power. It's a little complicated. But anyway after a I replaced that fuse most of my problems went away. And the batteries stopped going flat overnight. I'm set up for two 12 volt house batteries. If I actually used those batteries much I'd swap them out for a pair of six volt ones.

My coach has little lights that come on when you open many cabinet doors. Like a refrigerator. I discovered (after the batteries died again) that one was out of adjustment and staying on.

Those are the two things that have caused ME issues so far.

I suspect you need some specialized knowledge on your leveling system. Might be best to start a new thread about just thread and include the name of the system in the title if possible. Most systems were used on many different coaches so help doesn't necessarily have to come from a fellow Bounder owner.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Here's what I've done so far:

I called out an expert, a mobile RV Tech... Found several issues:

1) The AC Converter to charge the batteries, was unplugged... ?‍♂️ .. Well at least I know where it is now.
2) Even when he plugged it in, it wasn't working well... Voltage was all over the place from 11 to 14 V. Replaced it, now it's a steady 13.5V and charging fine !
3) The solenoid for the Engine Ignition was stuck, so nothing knew the engine was "on". He replaced that.
4) In addition, the ground on the whole assembly for the solenoids was bad, so things were only getting 5-6V instead of 12. New ground, and now the leveling feet work! As well as a few other bits and bobs.

I also installed an RVWhisper with battery monitors so that I can keep an eye on things, that seems to indicate things are going pretty well.

Still working on her, the next problem is the Water Pump and Water Heater, neither of them seem to work.

Don't lose that guy's number. He sounds like a good one.

Hi all.. I'm pretty new to the RV game, and got our first unit:: a used 1994 Fleetwood Bounder. It's got a few problems, and I'm looking for any advice on where to start looking for information? The first and biggest problem is that the House battery won't hold a charge. The RV came with a pair of 6V batteries for the house that were dead, so I replaced them with a single 12V battery. Everything worked fine for about 2 days, then it was dead too (reading 10V).

My initial thought is that either a) the charging circuit isn't working, or b) the charging circuit somehow requires 2 6V's instead of a 12V ? Anyone have any advice where I can look? Happy to read articles or watch youtube videos, it's just hard to find information on a 1994..

The 2nd problem I'm trying to find information on is the Leveling system. When I turn it on all I get is the "Low Battery" indicator, and no motion. I have no clue where to even start for this...
Hi, May I ask you where is the battery location? I could search anything online. Many thanks!🙏

We had a 1995 Bounder, here's a couple of documents that might be of use to you

Attachments

• 95 Bounder Ford Electrical.pdf
    692.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1995 BOUNDER Owners Manual.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 1995 F53 Owners Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
You didn't mention in your first two posts anything about being diesel

The house part/systems, with the exception of the generator, will be almost identical to the '95 but here's the 1994 owners manual. For the 5.9 shop manual, go here with your ESN https://www.cummins.com/support/manuals I don't know the transmission so can't help you there.

Attachments

• 01994 Bounder Owners Manual.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 8

Latest resources

Back