• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question 2004 Pace Arrow 36B bad running 8.1 Vortec

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I appreciate the input, I have an appointment for August 4th, but I disconnected the battery when I installed the coil, now the check engine light is off, may have cleared the fault codes ?
Possibly, but not usually.

Have you made any progress with your problem?

Have you made any progress with your problem?
Not much, I replaced the plug wires, one coil, added heat socks, waiting until my appointment to get the fuel pressure/pump checked, I'm afraid to test drive it far enough to get it nice and warm to see if the bad coil was the problem, I could see it arcing at night with the doghouse cover off. I have an appointment August 4th

Just a follow up on my engine misfire issue, everything checked out good at the shop, except one plug wire had come loose, the computer showed 1239 misfires, it looks like the coil I replaced was the original problem, not the plug wires. I have 57500 miles on this motorhome, should I replace all of the coils now or just wait and see ? They checked fuel pressure, MAF sensor, and all was good.

Just a question...was it hard to access the plugs ? I need to change mine (and wires as well) and although I haven't taken off the doghouse cover yet I thought I'd ask someone that just went through it ? Any advice?

Just a follow up on my engine misfire issue, everything checked out good at the shop, except one plug wire had come loose, the computer showed 1239 misfires, it looks like the coil I replaced was the original problem, not the plug wires. I have 57500 miles on this motorhome, should I replace all of the coils now or just wait and see ? They checked fuel pressure, MAF sensor, and all was good.
I wouldn't replace all of the coils. They are pretty reliable. And expensive if you do all of them. If you do decided to replace all of them, spend money on good parts like delco, delphi, NAPA Echlin, or Standard. Those are about the only brands I would trust. They control a lot of voltage thousands a time a minute and cheap part will fail pretty quick. They may come with a life time warranty, but you may spend a life time replacing them frequently. No fun when your broke down far from home.

Sounds like you found the problem. My thoughts on replacing the coils is this. Many coils last well over 150000 miles without a hitch. If you are concerned buy one spare and put it in your junk drawer. Also buy a code reader so you can trouble shoot the problem code on the road. It is likely not going to be the same problem next time around. As @DHudson said, there is no saving buying cheap parts, NAPA sells quality parts, and can be found almost anywhere.

Just a question...was it hard to access the plugs ? I need to change mine (and wires as well) and although I haven't taken off the doghouse cover yet I thought I'd ask someone that just went through it ? Any advice?
Mine is not too bad, some are best from the top (inside), and some from the bottom, I use my front jacks to raise for a little more room underneath, I also added some heat shield boots to the wires as mine have burned several times in the past.

Sounds like you found the problem. My thoughts on replacing the coils is this. Many coils last well over 150000 miles without a hitch. If you are concerned buy one spare and put it in your junk drawer. Also buy a code reader so you can trouble shoot the problem code on the road. It is likely not going to be the same problem next time around. As @DHudson said, there is no saving buying cheap parts, NAPA sells quality parts, and can be found almost anywhere.
The coil I bought was from AutoZone, Duralast brand ? Good or not ? I will take your advice and buy a spare, and of good quality for sure

Thanks

Latest resources

Back